PDA

View Full Version : Qantas - Online Check - IN, What a Joke!

AllInGoodTime
2nd Nov 2006, 11:46
Hi All

This evening I have just tried the new Qantas online check-in. What a joke, I tried 3 times, carefully following the instructions and each time it told me that I had made the reservation through another airline system, and that I can't use the QF online check_in. Even though I booked the flight on the Qantas website a few weeks ago and am also a QF Frequent Flyer.
I calmly called Qantas Res, and the lovely lady informed me, once I gave my details that due to the fact, that there was someone else on my flight with the same first and last name, that the system can't tell the difference between us, and that I would have to check in at the airport. I did suggest that the system use my Frequent flyer number to separate us, but she said it can't do that. I suggested to her that there is every chance in the Future that there will be 2 people travelling on the same plane with the same full name. She informed me that this new system was only 3 weeks old and has a few glitches to be worked out. I suggested to her QF computer programmers should have spoken to Virgin Blues IT dept, as they seemed to get it right when I last flew with them and did a web check in. Good work QF, putting a new service out there just so it appears that you are matching Virgin, when in reality you are not.

I feel sorry for the QF staff, this is clearly a rushed management decision, to get something out there and advertise it, even if it doesn't work properly, what a bunch of W@^KERS!

Bleve
2nd Nov 2006, 23:02
I believe the slogan is:

"Qantas IT - Yesterdays Technology Today"

Fliegenmong
2nd Nov 2006, 23:13
Hang on I've got a phone number around here somewhere for this outfit up in Delhi that may be able to assist.:}

AllInGoodTime
3rd Nov 2006, 01:45
It is a frigging Joke. Virgin Blue web check in, was seamless last time I flew with them, think I made a mistake booking with the White Rat, lets see how the on board service goes today and they may re-deem themselves.

I wouldn't care if they said the system is down or there are techincal problems, but to tell me because there are 2 of us on the same plane with the same first and last name, Please, that is cr@p!

Dropt McGutz
3rd Nov 2006, 03:47
Not necessarily crap. It was only last week that a QF 737 was delayed in Melbourne because there were two passengers with the same name, the problem being that one of the passengers was supposed to be travelling on Virgin.

Southern handler
3rd Nov 2006, 05:13
talking to pax who arrive at apt with net boarding pass they have been very complimentary about the system, sure there are always problems with new systems im sure they will get fixed very shortly.

max1
3rd Nov 2006, 05:59
While we're on the first and last name debacles. Controller in Brisbane got 'retired ' last week when Tech with the same name left.
Access denied to building, computers etc, .Good for a giggle.:)

Blip
3rd Nov 2006, 07:48
I believe the slogan is:

"Qantas IT - Yesterdays Technology Today"

You almost got it Bleve. It's actually:

"Qantas IT - Yesterday's technology tomorrow." ;)

Shitsu_Tonka
3rd Nov 2006, 07:58
I used the QF system today and found it no problem - equally as good as VB's when I used it.

peuce
3rd Nov 2006, 08:11
I used it the other day ... boarding pass rejected at the door. Back to the checkin counter for replacement and line up again.

Taildragger67
3rd Nov 2006, 10:34
What has had me puzzled for a while now, is how long it's taken the Rat to come up with this 'service', and only on its domestic ops. :ugh: Now they bring it in like it's some ground-breaking innovation. Like even Ryanair hasn't had it for a couple of years now.

I've been a happy user of BA online check-in for, oh, about eight years now. Indeed I think there are only about two ports where you cannot do it, in their global network. Go to T1 at EGLL these days and it's more the norm that punters have checked in online; front-up check-in is now a bit of a novelty. One has the odd prob, but generally... 30 secs (on a bad day) and you're on your way to the gate. :ok:

Oh that's right. They had 'fax' check-in for int'l ops. Who the :mad: has a fax machine these days??!!

Of course, the system is swinging a bit too far that way now in that you feel like a goose if you've not been able to get to a PC during your weekend away to check-in for the return leg...

Anyway... indeed. Yesterday's technology, for the foreseeable future!!

lowerlobe
7th Nov 2006, 01:18
The last time QF was innovative was when they came up with the idea for business class.

Ever since then it has been as someone else said "Yesterdays technology tomorro".

MIss Behaviour
9th Nov 2006, 03:18
One thing you can do with internet checkin vs using the QF Quick Check kiosk is keep your seat in the exit row. I am talking about if you have already been pre-seated in the exit row by QF staff (you cannot allocate yourself an exit row seat via either of the above methods).

If you use the quick check kiosk it will bounce you out of that seat into another one, however using the online method it checks you in and gives you a printout which is sort of a preliminary boarding pass on an A4 sheet of paper but without the bar code. You still need to front up to a checkin agent to receive your boarding pass.

Southern handler
12th Nov 2006, 23:52
Not quite right Miss the Quick Check machines will not bounce you into another seat they will flash up on the screen something along the lines of 'you have been seated in and emergency exit seat please see a customer service agent

MIss Behaviour
13th Nov 2006, 11:12
SH

Sounds like they've done a system 'enhancement' since then because I never got the response "you are seated in an emergency exit"..... etc etc. Mind you the Quick Check kiosk at the time didn't ask you the dangerous goods questions then either but it does now.

Oh that's super!
13th Nov 2006, 12:30
I haven't had any problem with Qantas Online Check-in at all so far (used it about 15 times, I think), but I may have just been lucky.