PDA

View Full Version : IE7 Installation v Mozilla

tired-flyboy
2nd Nov 2006, 07:01
Hi there

I have tried to install IE7 onto my laptop. I also run Mozilla as i find this a lot better. I want to try the new browser from microsoft.

Has anyone else had any problems trying to install it (IE7)?? I have followed the instructions on the error page and tried the cmd line inputs (from RUN) but there are no IE7 files or folders installed onto the comp.

Any ideas??

nb, its also not listed on the add/remove prog lists.

planecrazy.eu
3rd Nov 2006, 22:58
Well No, i havn't had any problems, but i did with IE6...

I removied IE5 from my system, and wanted IE6. So i kept downloading it, and it wasn't installing. I gave up in the end, and one day looked at the file i downloaded, it was an update? Maybe its the same problem, you're getting the IE7 update and not full app?

I would have thought this was harder now as MS stuff is normally all automated and checks to see what you have and need before install and download but i am not sure...

I didnt have Mozzila, but i has FireFox, which is more or less the samething, so i doubt thats an issue...

Or, i am pretty sure IE7 checks all the Windows reg info, so if your using a none genuine or some corp and oem versions of Windows then it might be failing as it cant authenticate your system? Some corp and oem only support CD or vendor installations of some stuff. I had an IBM laptop that could only be updated by update CD's and would not allow me to connect to live update and download. It was a college laptop, and that was some thing they had with licensing ?? cant remember the whole story, just know it frustrated me...

failing all that pretty useless advice, i think you can probibaly find a rouge site with the whole offline package installer...

Keef
3rd Nov 2006, 23:23
It's probably not representative, but the first time I tried to install IE7 it went through all the motions but didn't install. I only wanted to see what it's like, being a convinced Firefox addict and very suspicious of MS software.

The second time I tried, I thought the machine had locked up, it took so long. It did in fact install, but only after something like 15 minutes of chuntering disk drive time. The install worked, too! It's a lot slower than Firefox, and gives no indication that it's working - click on a link and nothing happens: no cursor change, no progress bars, etc. Then, when all seems lost, the new page suddenly pops up.

Conclusion: better than IE6, but s l o w. Firefox has it well beat.