PDA

View Full Version : Dash 8 400 In Japan

VintageRed
1st Nov 2006, 13:29
Hi there PPRuNers,

I was wanting to ask about the Dash 8 400 Jobs being advertised by PARC, HACS and others, based in Japan.

I know Japan is not for everyone and for that reason alone people are not keen to take the plunge but i was wondering what other factors might be keeping people away from this opportunity - command on new a/c, good money, good experience.

Please, no bashing of people(s) here.

Red.:)

Cloud Cutter
1st Nov 2006, 18:22
The main issue with the F/O jobs, is that you won't get an upgrade for the 3.5 years of the contract. If you go as a captain it would be OK.

The thing that stops me looking at it too hard is that you need a type rating on a two man aircraft (which precludes Beech 1900 and similar types). Otherwise I would be quite interested.

RUMBEAR
2nd Nov 2006, 01:17
I agree with CC. The command positions are pretty good positions but the experience requirements are reasonably high and are followed very rigidly. So guys that qualify are probably flying jets or wish to pursue jets rather than committing to 4 years in a Dash 8. :ok:

VintageRed
2nd Nov 2006, 20:36
Thanks for that input guys. I guess i had the impression that people in OZ seemed disgruntled with aviation down under (from these forums anyway) - i figured that the lure of great money, good a/c, and no payments for endorsements would be attractive.

Anyway thanks again.
VR

Capt Wally
4th Nov 2006, 08:40
............apart from what a few have said here about Dash 8 drivers OS (Japan) check with yr accountant (or the ATO), there are lots of tax implications in some cases as well as the flying hassles. Some Asian countries will not allow you to become a resident in any way shape or form & that could be construded by our tax dep as working OS whilst still being an Aussie resident, that meaning paying tax at every corner !!........simply put.............check before you make that decision to fly OS.

Capt Wally ":-)

Aerlik
12th Nov 2006, 04:20
I think I read somewhere that it is nearly impossible to get citizenship in Japan even if one of the parents is born there and a citizen. Not sure about the tax laws but I also read that when you contribute to the social security system, you will get a refund of quite substantial proportions on completion of your contract up to the value of three years' contributions. That's what studying Asian studies does for you...fills your mind with wonderful little bits of useless information. Did you know that China translates as The middle Kindgom...

flylittlebirdie
23rd Nov 2006, 20:58
I think the main issue for me would have to be working 6 days a week for 5 weeks and then only 12 days off before starting over again.
ANA is offering a much better schedule for the jets. Just because you are on a turbo prop doesn't mean you you don't need time off.

They would be better off dropping the pay and reducing the work load.

p.s. I know one of the 6 days is a reserve day but I was informed it was to be served at the airport in uniform.

Cloud Cutter
25th Nov 2006, 19:00
Yep, me thinks the Japanese have different ideas about the need for recreation. All worky an no play make Yoshi dull boy.