PDA

View Full Version : 999 Emergency

speedbird001
1st Nov 2006, 11:09
Hi all,
Anybody heard of this happening :confused: On Monday i went to the Drs to complain about a slight pain in the far left of my chest, the Dr suggested that i had an ECG at the health centre which i did.
I gave him the results of my test and to my shock and surprise :eek: he dialled 999 and they swept me off the hospital with an oxygen mask on etc.
On arrival at the hospital they did ECG tests again and the Drs there said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my heart :confused:
As i hold a Class 1 and i'm studying for my ATPL does anyone think i should get another opinion as i'm really worried now as i've got my Class 1 Re-newel coming up in the next weeks and this one i will need an ECG
Cheers
SB001

Loose rivets
1st Nov 2006, 15:53
Did the folk at the hospital get a look at the first ECG reults? Have you still got them?

Mac the Knife
1st Nov 2006, 18:41
The ECG machine at the health centre may have been one of those automated models that attempts to analyse the tracing - they usually print out the "analysis" on the trace too.

The "analysis" is often completely innapropriate or just plain wrong (it's not very intelligent on workaday machines) - your GP may have taken it at face value, hence the alarm. The folks at the health centre might also have connected up the leads wrong (which gives very bizarre results).

If they haven't lost the trace, get someone who understands ECGs properly (not me) to look at it.

:ok:

speedbird001
2nd Nov 2006, 07:06
Thanks for your replies,

The Dr gave my initial results to the Paramedics when they took me to the hospital, my Dr run the ECG test twice, once while i was holding my breath, he said whilst i was holding my breath the result should've been different to the first one, i have really no idea what he was talking about but he mentioned Q waves :confused:

At the hospital they run the test twice again, they said there was abosolutely nothing wrong with my heart and i didn't have any Q waves like my DR said :confused:

SB001

docash1983
2nd Nov 2006, 18:46
That happend to me once as well. Doctor sent me for an ECG sent me off to hospital and the best thing about it when they looked at the ECG results from the first test they discovered there was nothing wrong with me! The nurse had put the clips on the wrong way around!

2close
4th Nov 2006, 19:35
Speedbird,

You're going to 'have' to declare this at your class 1 renewal so if I were you I'd have it properly investigated now and get a report done for the CAA, before they decide to pull your medical and stop you flying until you've had it formally checked. It'll also give you peace of mind.

Of course, you could choose not to bother telling the AME at all but there may still be that nagging doubt in the back of your mind.

I had an episode quite recently where my heart seemed to be missing beats.

Lo and behold, my ECG at the GP was a tad erratic. Luckily, I know a cardiologist and one quick phone call got me in to see him the following day. The tests were all done that week and it turned out I had a benign ectopic heartbeat, which is apparently quite common and not of any concern. My heart muscle is very healthy (excellent resting and stress BP, EF - 65%) and it's all back to normal now and it may have been connected with a chest infection but I can tell you I didn't half pants it for the week I was undergoing the tests so I know where you're coming from.

Get it checked properly - it'll keep everyone happy, especially the authorities or any future potential employer but most importantly YOU!

HTH

2close

speedbird001
5th Nov 2006, 08:49
I went back to my Drs to discuss the results from the hospital and I told the Dr that the consultant at the Hospital said there was absolutely nothing wrong with me or my heart.
Again they said it was just a precaution that my Dr decided to send me to the hospital but I don't know about anyone else opinion but in my eye's there's no smoke without fire :confused:
I could not confirm if it was a cardiologist who I at seen in the Emergency dept and neither could my Dr, so we both agreed it would be in my best interest to see a cardiologist before I have my Class 1 renewal.
My Dr said however that they'd have no problem with me going home and not investigating this issue again as the report/result from the hospital said I was in perfect health.
I see the cardiologist next week so watch this space and thanks for your thoughts advice etc.
SB001

jayteeto
5th Nov 2006, 13:21
A few years ago, I had some chest pain. The doc sent me to A+E and they kept me in all day, treating me like an invalid. I was worried sick after 9 ECGs and countless blood tests. The final result was a suspected pulled muscle!!!
MUCH MUCH better to be safe than sorry, your doc did the right thing :ok:

speedbird001
5th Nov 2006, 13:45
Oh yeah I know and I fully understand why my Dr sent me to A/E :ok: except for the fact I almost had a real heart attack on the way as the driver of the ambulance was driving at Mac 2 :rolleyes:
SB001