PDA

View Full Version : All the answers to where are we going?

BOAC
10th Dec 2002, 18:48
What is it/where do we fly/where is it/which side should I sit?

G-CPTN
28th Aug 2007, 12:33
My daughter flew from Edinburgh to Luton with Squeezyjet.
On first descending on the approach to Luton, there was what at first seemed to be a disused airfield but was probably a 'stately home' with well-manicured lawns and a 'circular' feature. I didn't see it so I'm describing it according to what I was told.
I guessed that it could be Woburn Abbey, but, having shown her the region and detail of Woburn on Wikipedia I have been told 'no cigar'.
I have also suggested Millbrook Proving Ground, but I'm told that there were 'well-manicured lawns' which suggests a more domestic location and not an industrial site.
Can anyone (perhaps even a regular Sqeezyjet pilot?) suggest what my daughter might have seen? I realise that I cannot define the specific area, but, as I stated, it was on their first descent from 'high' altitude . . .
I'm guessing that it would be Northamptonshire - ish (or maybe even Cambridgeshire?).

Double Hydco
28th Aug 2007, 13:02
My money is on it being Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire.....

On our departures to the west from Stansted (and righthand downwind for 26 at Luton I would think), we often get a great view of the house and its grounds. It's got a long lawn up to the house with a circular feature half way down.

Couldn't find any aerial shots, but Google Earth shows it well (just north of Royston, Herts)

Hope this helps....DH

G-CPTN
28th Aug 2007, 14:30
Excellent, and spot-on.
Nearby of course is RAF Bassingbourn too.
Many thanks DH!
PPRuNe comes-up trumps again . . .

(I would PM you with more but I have no access to such facilities.)

29th Aug 2007, 08:25
It could be Wrest Park just East of Silsoe.

52° 0'28.61"N
0°24'43.33"W

I'm a 'regular SqueezyJet pilot' and local lad too. We fly over it quite often (yesterday in fact) and there's a good chance you could see it from the back on departure or arrival into Luton.

Worth a look anyway. . .

;)

rsuggitt
29th Aug 2007, 14:55
If you fly north in the direction of the 'runway', you end up at Bourne airfield.

redsnail
29th Aug 2007, 15:12
When I fly into Luton I am too busy trying to spot my house. :D

I have spotted where I used to live in Luton. :ooh:

General Zod
29th Aug 2007, 15:27
Anyone know what the disuded airfield type place is that you pass on approach into Bournemouth??

29th Aug 2007, 17:42
theres quite a few you'd pass

owenkirk2005
29th Aug 2007, 17:48
Hi, can anyone give me rought idea of the routing from london gatwick to dublin? i know from stanstead you go up to liverpool and cross n.wales, is it the same from gatwick? thanks

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Aug 2007, 18:12
One route takes them north towards WOD, then west to Dublin..

BOAC
29th Aug 2007, 18:15
'Normal' route is west to Strumble then across the water.

Midland 331
31st Aug 2007, 19:19
Thread drift a bit, but can anyone recall what routing the Midland Viscounts used to take LGW-BFS? The advertised duration was around two hours. Straight out of Uni, I worked in resevations, and we were told that the reason was air traffic routing out of LGW. Manx advertised LHR-IOM at around one hour fifteen, which would seem right for such a distance. Was there an issue with them managing a SID going northbound? We were told this once...

r

Up up and away
1st Sep 2007, 09:52
Morning,

Hope this is posted in the correct place.

We are flying from Manchester to Kos (2 weeks today) on XLA, is anyone able to let me know which route we will be taking or point me in the right direction to find this out for myself?

DaveO'Leary
1st Sep 2007, 14:21
Hi
Flying above airline 13th Sept LGW-Plymouth. Would anyone know the route and flight level? Hoping to get some shots of Stone Henge, and yes, I have a very good zoom lens lol. Thanks in advance.

Dave
ps. I did mail the airline but got no reply to the above question.

rich_g85
20th Sep 2007, 10:57
Hi all,
I'm a keen Flight Sim'er and wanted to accurately reproduce my flight from EGTE to EGNM.

It was an Easyjet flight, we took off on runway 08 at Exeter and turned immediately left. I don't know much else about the flight, except we seemed to be doing an awful lot of right-turns over what I think was Denton Moor at a fairly low altitude before doing a long final onto runway 14 at Leeds.

Can anyone help? I'd be interested to know which waypoints are generally used on this route if possible....

Also my return journey, which again was Runway 14 followed by a right-turn, followed by a left turn over Manchester airport. That's all I know, until we landed back on runway 08 at Exeter after a left turn and quite a short final approach.

Thanks
Richard

???pax
1st Dec 2007, 09:07
Which STAR is typically used for this route?

Many thanks,

???pax

IRRenewal
1st Dec 2007, 09:25
Most likely is LOREL 3C

1st Dec 2007, 09:28
Arrival from the south.

LOREL3C if I remember!

EGNH
16th Jan 2008, 10:58
Morning All,

I am just starting to do my PPL and I fly from MAN to Cayo Coco (Cuba) 24th March on a TCX A330 anyone any idea what route they generally fly!?

Thanks in advance.

EGNH

PilotsOfTheCaribbean
16th Jan 2008, 12:16
Irish sea, Ireland, Atlantic Ocean.

EGNH
16th Jan 2008, 12:55
Thanks POTC

I kind of guessed that! But wondered how far north we would get, my parents went a few years ago went up over Greenland, Canada then down the eastern seaboard of America and flew just to the east of NYC. So wondered if it would be a similar route or just foot down straight over the water! If we went straight out over the Atlantic is that not an ETOP'S issue?

PilotsOfTheCaribbean
16th Jan 2008, 13:09
If we went straight out over the Atlantic is that not an ETOP'S issue?

Yes it is ETOPS, so is the A330 and so are the crew. The routeing will be cost determined on the day depending on prevailing winds etc. On the day the operations department will file the best route in the prevailing circumstances. However if you want me to guess the route now, it is : Irish sea, Ireland, Atlantic Ocean (lots of it.)

BelArgUSA
16th Jan 2008, 13:22
Hola EGNH...
xxx
Quite an achievement to have started your PPL and already fly your cross country navigation practice in A-330s...
Well, nowadays, I cannot follow-up with you kids, your ATPLs in freezers -
And your modular or integrated training programs.
xxx
As far as your route from Manchester to Cuba...
Depends on how the Atlantic tracks as far as the North Atlantic...
You will be in an ETOPS machine, and they dont want you to swim.
xxx
Initially you will be routing over Ireland...
Then the water, and water, and water (quite boring)...
Sitting on the RH side, after some 4 hrs flight, you might catch a glimpse of Newfoundland.
If you look on LH side at that point, that is where the Titanic got a bad leak.
Then some 2 hours later, maybe on your LH side, you might see Bermuda.
Beware after that point - The "Bermuda Triangle" -
2 more hours, a bunch of small islands, that will be the Bahamas.
Far to your right, the coast of Florida. Then... Cuba.
xxx
Dont get lost. Check the batteries of your GPS.
Enjoy Cuba, nice place to be a tourist.
:)
Happy contrails

EGNH
16th Jan 2008, 14:40
Thanks for your replies even if one was slightly sarcastic!

Not going to Cuba in a Cessna or anything like that going to Cuba to get married!

Never been on the A330 so looking forwad to it, not looking forward to flying over lots and lots of water though borrrring!

The Mrs will be sick of me by then as I will keep pointing useless stuff out to her!

BelArgUSA
16th Jan 2008, 14:58
Sarcastic...?
xxx
Moi...? ... noooooooo....
Just that it is my kind of dry humour...
England is notorious for its "British Humour" -
Here in Argentina, we have our brand of "Gaucho" humour, sometimes translates as sarcasm.
Just a dash...!
Do not take me too seriously. I cannot remain 60 seconds without joking.
xxx
My apologies, and my best wishes to the groom and his bride.
I raise my glass to both of you.
:D
Happy contrails

KMG 365
17th Jan 2008, 03:08
Click the following link to view flightpath of MUCC - EGCC.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TCX174L

Although the coverage is primarily for Canadian and U.S. airspace, it gives a good general idea of the flightpath. The actual routing is in the box on the right.

Hartington
17th Jan 2008, 11:12
Surely the route varies daily according to the track system? I've been across the Atlantic many times and the route is never the same. For instance, going to San Francisco I've usually gone a fair way north and then cut down over Winnipeg or Calgary but one one occasion we went right out to Vancouver and then down the west coast. Going to and from Washington late September this year we made landfall just north of New York and coming home we headed almost straight out into the Atlantic; on other trips there I've gone in over maritime Canada and down the east coast.

ETOPS may have some effect on your routing because of the need to stay within a certain flying time of a diversionary airport.

AircraftOperations
18th Jan 2008, 00:42
MUCC-EGCC is likely to take a different route than EGCC-MUCC....

...certainly over the Atlantic to Ireland anyway, as one direction wants to fly with as much tailwind as possible, and the other wants to avoid as much headwind as possible.

???pax
6th Mar 2008, 16:47
Morning all,

Going off to the slopes in a week or so and, as always, I am keen to find out what route I'll be following as I fly down to Grenoble from Gatwick.

If anybody has a moment to let me know general SID and waypoint information, I would appreciate it very much.

Best regards,

???pax

(ps - hope this is in the correct thread)

BOAC
6th Mar 2008, 20:37
(ps - hope this is in the correct thread) It certainly is!:)

Departure easterly - SFD SID
Departure westerly - BOG SID

Route via Paris and PROBABLY towards Geneva and then towards GNB.

Airway will depend on flow control, but either UM975 to LUSAR or to PODEP for UL612. also possible UM728 to LERGA

???pax
6th Mar 2008, 21:44
Thanks for the details BOAC ;)