PDA

View Full Version : The End Of An Era - Last Flight of a QFLink 146

Capn Bloggs
31st Oct 2006, 13:21
I hereby REPORT that today was the last day of QF Link 146 operations. An end of an era, to be sure. Airlink started in August 1991 with:
http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w334/capnbloggs/NJY-500.jpg

And ended today with:

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w334/capnbloggs/NJL-500.jpg

Love it or hate it, the 146 has carried millions of QF regional passengers for 15 years. I wonder if the light twin will last that long?

Landings will never be the same...:{

ditzyboy
1st Nov 2006, 03:49
I had the opportunity to fly on one of the first Airlink flights DRW-GOV-CNS TL207. Even got to do a milk run BNE-ROK-MKY-TSV-CNS-DRW (TL220?) one time.

Those 146-100s were great! Not as good as the Ansett -200s but quite a novelty to be in such a big yet little plane.

cub_69
1st Nov 2006, 08:54
However having had something to do with the BAe146 at NJS for some years before leaving, I must say although they had some troublesome times with more significant issues than other types suffer, they did an excellent job and in the later years performed very very well for QLink.

I must say without the dedication and professionalism of NJS staff they wouldn’t have been the success they were.

To all those that had an involvement with the BAe146 for QLink – well done and good luck with the future and the changes with your company.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Nov 2006, 01:37
G'day Capn B,

Congrats to the '146' and crews for the service given over 15 years to its many ports of call.

And, 'as the sun sets slowly in the west, we say 'farewell and aloha'.....'
as they say.

Another 'aviation era' gone, and with many good memories of comfortable & reliable service.

And you're right about the landings......nice!!

Cheers to all.:ok:

(Ah, what was that?? Sarwatch terminated??....)! :ok:

dodgybrothers
2nd Nov 2006, 05:27
yes twas good service from a much maligned aircraft. Won't miss the toxin levels though. BTW was that photo looked like it was almost a tailstrike. oops did I say that......?

disco_air
2nd Nov 2006, 10:09
So is it 717's doing PER-KNX now?

Capn Bloggs
2nd Nov 2006, 13:14
So is it 717's doing PER-KNX now?
Nope, although the 717 has shown that it beats a 146-300 in hot and high conditions, so it would be OK at kunna's.The rocket scientists, brain surgeons and nuclear physicists though are too busy trying to stick it up the plebs to worry about things like that!

Given the VB jungle jet will now be a reality, things better happen fast or the 717 (NJS-style) will be quickly going the way of the 146! :{

was that photo looked like it was almost a tailstrike
No Dodgy, that was a very smooth takeoff! Unlike the ones you used to do! :} :ok:

RENURPP
2nd Nov 2006, 22:36
although the 717 has shown that it beats a 146-300 in hot and high conditions

Bull/****e Bloggs,
when was last time you went to alkice on a hot day?

topend3
8th Nov 2006, 04:36
i believe with the demise of the 146 qf will cease to "service" knx from next year, especially considering the extra cap.that xr have put in there...ps i believe ZNE was the last port to see a scheduled 146 qlink service?

cunninglinguist
9th Nov 2006, 04:25
Re: the performance, I don't remember the 146 ever having to lose a 1/4 of its capacity to depart KA, NWN etc. :eek:

topend3
9th Nov 2006, 05:17
i agree with you there cunnas, i suspect QF are reviewing 737 ops for NWN in light of the performance barriers the 717 imposes.

RENURPP
9th Nov 2006, 05:21
The 717 can do it, it just requires QF making a decision and spending a few $$$$ then it won't be restricted anywhere. (on the current route structure)
I guess they need to decide whether the extra seats are important ($$ wise) to them on these roiutes.

Capn Bloggs
9th Nov 2006, 07:02
Cunnas,
Re: the performance, I don't remember the 146 ever having to lose a 1/4 of its capacity to depart KA, NWN etc.
You're getting out of your depth! As stated by Topend 3 on the other thread, the 717 is currently capped (by the small chips) to a pax figure higher than the 146 ever was. And they're faster, higher and smell better to boot, together with a good jolt at the end to wake you up...

I very much doubt that QF would put a 737 into ZNE; your tarmac would get wrecked in double quick time TE3! := What I can see is a midday 717 flight. Now that'd make sense. Besides, the QF pilots couldn't work out how to get the lights on...:E

topend3
9th Nov 2006, 09:38
you guys struggle to get them turned on as it is, have you noticed the brand new lighting and the sealed shoulders???

cunninglinguist
9th Nov 2006, 23:34
uhh, ok, if you reduce a 117 seat a/c to 85 ( which they do in summer, if memory serves ) what do you call that? The 300 ( 87 pax ) was rarely restricted out of NWN, PBO.

The small chip you speak of is rumoured to be 7 figures per engine and even if it is'nt that much, there is the extra maintenance costs, good luck with getting that dosh out of QF.

The rest I'm afraid I have to agree with you on, particularly the 737 thing, ( we all know it will eventually be an A320 :rolleyes: ) my my, have'nt you changed your tune in the last 12 months ;)

PS. I don't think I'm out of my depth, having operated both types, and flown all those routes for 10+ years :=