PDA

View Full Version : How Can We Make Flying Safer?

Gouabafla
31st Oct 2006, 11:12
The BBC are running a message board (http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=4553&start=0&&&edition=1&ttl=20061031121035) on how to improve aviation safety in Africa. I reckon that it might benefit from some informed input from Afri-Pruners.

merlinxx
31st Oct 2006, 11:52
One simple application for all African Aviation. Simple and honest monthly/bi-monthly/6 monthly audits carried out by International (ICAO/IATA/EASA/FAA etc etc) approved and non bribable (no dash/falous) pros.

You only have to sit on the ramp at various locations to see the lack of applications in severe WX to say "not me buddy":mad:

flyhardmo
4th Nov 2006, 14:27
Take aviation away from africa is one solution :}

I have several suggestions, shoot all controllers, everyone that works for every civil aviation authority on the continent for increasing fee's and provide no services or adding bullsh1t fees such as safety fee's. Why is it more expensive to run a C-206 in africa than it is in the states? All this adds to cost cutting, pressure to bust minima's all sorts of crazy stuff that puts hair on an african pilots chest. Then if you don't do it there are 15 people behind you willing take the risks and even more..

Improve on that :ugh:

alexmcfire
4th Nov 2006, 16:48
Stiff penalties for corruption and transparent rules, more African dies in road-accident though..

MungoP
5th Nov 2006, 02:20
There is a new ruling coming into effect in some areas that will effectively prevent aircraft of more thn 20 yrs old from operating... This has come about largely due to the antics of some companies buying up old Russian freighters and crashing them as though they were disposable items... which i suppose to the operaters, they were.. No thought has been given to the fact that many a/c of more than twice that age are being operated perfectly safely by the more responsible companies.
No doubt though that if/when the ruling takes effect, aviation safety will improve in places like DR Congo... As for the controllers.. there are one or two.. and that's about it.. that are worthy of the title. The fact is that most of us who operate through the more difficult areas of Africa have learned to work around them.. when we here them losing it, we sort things out amongst ourselves. Much safer to have NO controllers in many places. If only the Russian crews would play ball and stop lying about their altitude, speed, DME etc... it would be a breeze.