PDA

View Full Version : UK Scanner law

BOAC
10th Dec 2002, 18:48
All those who require a definitive answer should read this (http://www.freqofnature.com/scanninglaws_uk.html), which although being suitably confusing:D does offer an email link if you wish clarification.

You may also wish to check this link (http://www.tvlicensing.biz/telegraphy_act_1949/pdf/wtact1949.pdf) which quotes Section 5(b) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 (in PDF format).

which

"makes it an offence if a person "otherwise than under the authority of a designated person", either:

"(i) uses any wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any message whether sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not, of which neither the person using the apparatus nor a person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient"
This means that it is illegal to listen to anything other than general reception transmissions unless you are either a licensed user of the frequencies in question or have been specifically authorised to do so by a designated person. A designated person means:

a. the Secretary of State;
b. the Commissioners of Customs and Excise; or
c. any other person designated for the purpose by regulations made by the Secretary of State.

or:..."

We have another thread about this here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206063) courtesy of the ATC forum.

GrahamK123
27th Jan 2007, 22:20
By the way... do any of you know that using a 'scanner' is actually against the law?

Blues&twos
28th Jan 2007, 00:06
Yep. Not illegal to own, buy or sell a scanner, but illegal to listen to certain transmissions. Not that I'm all that bothered and I imagine quite a large proportion of people who own them are aware, but if anyone really wants the legal low down visit the OFCOM website and read yourself to sleep:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/ofw156x

eyeofthebeholder
28th Jan 2007, 08:46
That makes for some interesting reading. It's a wonder that some government body hasn't asked for scanner boxes/manuals to state clearly that it's illegal to listen to such broadcasts, in this 'PC' age we live in.

I didn't realise the extent of ban - it being illegal to listen to anything that isn't effectively public address - I though it just covered the emergency services. But it obviously covers such transmissions as:
Marine Radio, ATC, Taxis and Local Company Walkie-talkies, and I would assume CB radio also, if people are chatting on a particular channel?

...and, as the link states, broadcasts from illegal radio stations - question is, how do you know it’s illegal??

Does anyone actually know if someone has been arrested for such acts?

Gulf4uk
28th Jan 2007, 09:59
HI

As Far as am aware its not illegal to listen to CB or HAM Radio these are
or were Liceneced Services avail to the General public (HAM case passing an EXAM) as for CB from mid december 2006 the Government announced that
a licience to Use 27mhz Cb Was not reqd . The fact was it was costing more
to collect it than those that Had One (GOV Words not mine) i always got mine from the Post office another item they stopped . Some shops still stock CB or can obtain for you and EBAY still has loads.

tony

Self Loading Freight
2nd May 2007, 20:33
Every time someone mentions on Pprune that they heard something interesting on their airband radio/scanner/magic conch shell, there's a set litany of responses as unvarying and time-honoured as you'd ever get at Evensong.

Spotter: And it came to pass that BA445 saith in mine electronically-enhanced earshot, even unto the tower: verily, I am having a spot of bother.
Ppruners: Lo, knowest thou not that this is evil in the sight of the Law, and that thou art a naughty person? The Angel of the Law that is called Ofcom shall smite thee if thou lookest not out, and a good thing too.

(On days ending in a y, there then follows the Collection of hoary old nonsense about 'not if you don't pass it on'. The service finishes with a reading from the Book of Acts (Wireless Telegraphy), and the congregation departs grumpily until the next time)

The latest outbreak of this has been in R&N with the Thompson heron strike report. And yes, if course it is illegal. Even having a radio capable of working on airband frequencies is illegal - something I'm guilty of on multiple counts, being a radio ham with enough bits of weird kit to set up MI5 2.0.

I don't think it should be. In countries where listening to stuff is by and large legal, I'm unaware that it's caused big problems that could have been solved by law; the law patently doesn't work in any case; nobody seems at all bothered (pace the Pprune Naughty Police) and in many cases (airshows, etc) the authorities actively collude with the punters by publishing frequencies for that very purpose.

Ofcom is currently consulting on various aspects of radio licensing, but nothing that covers this. It would be a good idea to ask it if it would consider reforming the (really very outdated) principle that if the Minister of State for the Home Office doesn't give their explicit permission, it's not allowed. There are so many other laws covering areas where such listening could cause harm - and so many services are now safely digital - that a bit of sanity would be most welcome.

Are there enough people to get some steam up and go ask? Ofcom loves the consultation: be nice to give it something it hadn't already set up.

Here endeth the whinge.

R

glhcarl
2nd May 2007, 22:36
I didn't bring my scanner with me however, I was teaching a class for the RAF and used a "laser pointer" during my presentation. After the class one of the officers that was in the class asked if I had registered the pointer when I entered the UK. I thought he was joking then another told me all "lasers" had to be regestered in the UK. Don't know if this is actually true but I didn't use it anymore just in case.

Self Loading Freight
4th May 2007, 15:51
I think you'll find that your colocutors were talking about the British Audit of Non-Terahertz Emitted Radiation, a subject dear to the RAF. If you go to the Military Aircrew forum and ask about BANTER you'll find out more...

R