PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 402 - information request

Joćo Couto Resendes
30th Oct 2006, 14:56
Hi!

Is anyone around here able to supply me some detailed information's about the Cessna 402? I've tried to find some on the Internet but it gets a bit confusing with lots of different data and Cessna's website no longer has information regarding this a/c.
At least knowing it's maximum range with full payload would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Joćo Couto Resendes
Ponta Delgada - Azores

411A
30th Oct 2006, 21:15
Which particular year of manufacture?
I does make a difference.
I first flew the 402 when they were first introduced in 1967...nice aeroplane.

buzzc152
30th Oct 2006, 23:48
I fly the 402B for a living.
I'm on my way back from Australia to UK today so haven't time to answer. If you want, PM a list of questions and I'll do my best to answer fully when I get back in a day or two.
Buzz

Joćo Couto Resendes
31st Oct 2006, 00:09
Hello,

Thank you 411A, for your reply. I would like information regarding the Cessna 402C (1980?).
buzzc152, I will send you a list of questions very soon, thank you!

Best regards,
Joćo

411A
31st Oct 2006, 00:28
Oddly enough, I never flew the 402C, so perhaps others have an opinion.
There are still a lot of 402C's around, so it must be a good performer.

vapilot2004
31st Oct 2006, 00:56
You may already have many answers in Buzzc152.

There is a small charter operation in Florida that has an all 402C fleet (at least a dozen of 'em). Perhaps someone would kindly assist there. :)

Florida Coast Airlines (http://www.floridacoastalairlines.com/)

PLovett
1st Nov 2006, 23:28
I have some time on a C402-C.

The first question though is does the one you are going to fly have a vortex generator kit? If so, it raises the MTOW from 3107 kg to 3270 kg. The MZFW is 2955 kg in either case.

So using the MZFW as max payload you can carry either 315 kg or 152 kg of fuel, 437 litres or 211 litres respectively.

Maximum fuel is 780 litres and most C402-C have a block rate burn of 130 litres/hour although the one that I have flown burns closer to 140 litres/hour. At 130 litres/hour and 437 litres you are going to get 3.3 hours of noise before there is silence from everything except the pilot, for 211 litres it is 1.6 hours.

On the aircraft I flew I flight planned at 170 knots which for the most part is reasonably accurate but I also fly in a part of Australia where wind forecasts are accurate only when there is a blue moon. So with leaving a bare 45 minute reserve you are going to get a range of about 425 nm and 136 nm respectively.

Please treat as a guide only as there is quite a difference between particular aircraft. If you are going to be a pilot of one they are a very nice aircraft to fly, Cessna finally got rid of the idiotic fuel system they borrowed from the 310 and simplified a lot of the systems. Engineers on the other hand hate them because of the difficulty in getting to a lot of the bits. :ok:

Astra driver
3rd Nov 2006, 02:14
I flew the 402 A's and B's a few years back, flying mostly Japanese tourists from L.A. to the Grand Canyon and back.

Since most Japanese are little guys we could fill all nine seats plus a few bags, the standard fuel load was "Tips and Ten" (us gallons) for a total of 120 gallons, which would put us right at max gross and would get us to the canyon in about 2 hours (18 gallons per hour FF per side) with around a 1 hour reserve.

CG was an issue with heavier loads; you can go out of aft CG real easy. I can remember having to split up husband and wives, putting all the men up front and all the women and kids in the back, then tossing the bags, or some lead shot up in the nose to stay in CG.

Great Airplane, really enjoyed flying it, especially at night when you could look out at the engines and see the turbo chargers glowing red hot! :eek:

Joćo Couto Resendes
4th Nov 2006, 13:35
Hello!

Many thanks for all the information! It really helped!

Best regards,
Joćo