PDA

View Full Version : Any Aeronautical Engineers around here?

Gearupandorrf
30th Oct 2006, 09:46
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if there are Aeronautical Engineers that visit these Forums occassionally? If so, I'd be really interested in catching up and getting a feel for the state of the Industry here in Australia- particularly in terms of the likelyhood of securing relevant Employment upon graduating with a B. Eng (Aero) Degree.

The Institution that I'm hoping to study with has quoted that "approx. 90% of Graduates find Emplyment within the Aerospace Industry within four months of Graduation".

My background is that I have an Oz CPL and UK (JAA) Frozen ATPL. I moved to the UK 3 years ago to try and get my Flying career up and running- but due to a few factors it just didn't work out for me over there. So about 5 months ago I moved home to Melbourne. Now at nearly 33 and about 400 hrs TT, I'm under no illusions that I'm way past the "experience commensurate with age" eight ball.

I feel that qualifying as an Aeronautical Engineer will lead me to a satisfying and rewarding job, and there does seem to be some opportunities for Graduates on seek.com.au. For the last four months I've been working in a non- Aviation job, and it's making me miserable as I'm a bit of an Aeroplane head. My mind seems to be made up, but I'd still like to hear from others.

Are any of you out there in/ have been in the same position as me (from aspiring Commercial Pilot to soon- to- be- studying Aeronautical Engineer)?
How has it worked out for you?

Cheers,
Gearup.

djpil
30th Oct 2006, 10:15
The Engineering Profession - A Statistical Overview, March 2006 (http://qld.engineersaustralia.org.au/jetspeed/static/items/2/3880/EngStats.pdf) is a good place to start finding answers.
152 domestic graduations in aerospace engineering last year - where did they go? Some into the local aerospace industry - I'd guess about 30. Some would be in the defence force, not sure how many. Some into the automotive industry. Some into aerospace industry overseas. The report indicates that most aero graduates find work these days but maybe not doing what they expected. Wasn't the same 5 years ago - just after Sept '01, there weren't many jobs going.
When you graduate - pay will certainly be better than an aspiring commercial pilot.

Swingwing
30th Oct 2006, 10:17
Mate -

thought about the military? As far as I know the RAAF is still relatively short of engos. If you can handle it, the Army is even shorter, and is growing their aviation business at a great rate.

You're too old for ADFA, but probably not to be sponsored for your uni - they will pay for your HECS etc in return for a few years of ROSO. I've got plenty of mates who are Aeros in the service, and they all speak well of it. There's the usual bureaucratic bull$hit that any military requires, but there are also plenty of opportunities. Lots of opportunities for deployments, overseas postings etc, as well as things like flight test engineer school if you get lucky.
I don't know what civilian aero engineers get paid, but the coin is also competitive so far as I'm aware.
Something to think about anyway. I don't have any direct contacts anymore, but the recruiting people should give you a basic steer.
good luck with it.
SW

Defenestrator
30th Oct 2006, 17:05
I you're fair dinkum about a flying career knock on the Army's door. Last I heard they were screaming for pilots. The cut-off age is now 49 (I think) and with your background and proven dedication I reckon you'd be a walk up start. And enough of that "weight for age" stuff. There's plenty of life left in you for any employer. 5 years and 3500hrs you'll be right back on track. Spose it comes down to how much you want it. Give it some thought mate. :ok:

4Greens
30th Oct 2006, 20:24
Get in touch with the Melbourne branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society. It has its own website and can easily be googled.
They will be able to give all the advice needed.

djpil
30th Oct 2006, 21:34
Yes, the RAeS in Melbourne - the website may eventually lead you to Cees Bil & Bill Belton.
Gearup - check your PM to arrange to drop in for a chat about aero engineering here.

Gearupandorrf
31st Oct 2006, 09:50
Hi Swingwing-
This is an avenue that I hadn't looked into, but interests me greatly. I'll have to think seriously before looking into such an arrangment- what will the Family situation be like in 4-5 years' time (no kids currently- just my Wife and I)- will the potential moving around be a problem etc. etc)? Having said that though- I would just love to get my hands on some of the equipment that you guys get to play with. By the way, the triple- one is my all time favourite Aircraft. 300' At 4-500 knots with the TFR slaved into the A/P at night or in fog must take some getting used to!

Defenestrator-
I'm pretty sure I'd get knocked back on the Medical side of things to go flying Choppers in the Army. My eyesight can be corrected to 20/20 with Glasses/ Contacts- but without them the distance vision in my left eye is noticeably weaker than my right eye. I take it that the Medical requirements are the same for all new Pilot/ Flying Officers within the ADF- whether it's off to fly the Caribou or a Hornet?

4Greens-
Thanks for this advice, it could be a valuable resource.

djpil-
Please check your pm's!

Many thanks all,
Gearup.