PDA

View Full Version : Chalk Ocean Airways

seacue
29th Oct 2006, 20:39
About one year after the crash of their Mallard, Chalk Ocean Airways is to resume service from Florida to the Bahamas Nov 9 using leased land planes.

http://tinyurl.com/ydlrg2

NutLoose
29th Oct 2006, 21:09
In one word......................... EXCELLENT:ok: :ok:

Cracking little Airline, real nice people and aircraft, I am so pleased they are back in Business :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

bubbers44
30th Oct 2006, 03:32
We were friends of the FO on that flight. He would be happy to know the airline was operating again.

WHBM
30th Oct 2006, 08:38
Article doesn't say but I am guessing they are restarting with some Beech 1900s. Which may be basic transportation but just don't have the attraction of the grand old seaplanes of the longstanding operation.

I wonder how much of Chalk's revenue was just from those of us, myself and probably many others on the forum, who did the trip more for the seaplane ride than the need to get to the destination ?

BoeingMEL
30th Oct 2006, 09:14
What great news.... a great company with great history and fine folks too! Are we to assume that the seaplane days are finished? THat would be so sad.. bm:)

seacue
30th Oct 2006, 10:14
BoeingMEL, Read the article I linked. They are trying to do a rebuild of the Mallards that will satisfy the FAA.

V800
30th Oct 2006, 19:54
I wonder how much of Chalk's revenue was just from those of us, myself and probably many others on the forum, who did the trip more for the seaplane ride than the need to get to the destination ?

Back in 1991 I had a day over in Bimini just for a ride in a Mallard. The return flight to Watson Island was on the ill fated N2969.

BoeingMEL
30th Oct 2006, 20:30
Thanks for that Seacue..much appreciated. bm

vapilot2004
30th Oct 2006, 20:50
I was once told that Chalks were the world's oldest operating airline. Anyone have confirmation of that little factoid ?

I have been to Bimini and other Caribbean islands VIA small twins and the B200. Those traveling by large aircraft don't know what they are missing. :ok:

Never flown on a Mallard - I may still get a chance. :)

Ejector
30th Oct 2006, 23:43
Why don't they just use C208 or a DHC-6 on floats?

vapilot2004
31st Oct 2006, 07:52
Because the Otter and C208 both land on the water. :)

jabird
31st Oct 2006, 10:26
Had to make do with a Bahamasair 737-200 instead back in April. Still an interesting ride, night approach into MIA very impressive, but don't think it was quite the same as the Mallard would have been.

Hope the seaplanes return soon.

seacue
1st Nov 2006, 12:46
It is reported that Chalk's permission to fly to the Bahamas has expired. The Bahamas government spokesman says Chalk hasn't even applied for a replacement.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted November 1 2006

Fort Lauderdale-based Chalk's International Airlines, which has announced plans to resume flights to the Bahamas on Nov. 9, does not have permission to fly there, a Bahamian aviation official said Tuesday.

"Their approval to come here has expired and they have not submitted a new application," said Cyril Saunders, the director of civil aviation.

Chalk's, whose seaplane fleet remains grounded following a December 2005 crash that killed 20, plans to use a 19-seat Beech aircraft leased from Billings, Mont.-based Big Sky Airlines before adding other planes.

Big Sky has applied to serve the Bahamas, and that application is pending, Saunders said. But even if it is approved, Chalk's needs separate approval to serve the Bahamas because it is leasing the plane and using a crew from Big Sky, he said."

http://tinyurl.com/yeu7df