PDA

View Full Version : Macular Changes....Eye Stuff?

The Jolly Roger
29th Oct 2006, 18:25
Hi....Can anyone help..

I have kerataconus in my right eye. Its stable now for the past 6 years and doesn't affect my eye sight. I have a Class 3 Medical for ATC. Kerataconus not an issue at present. The other day I had an annual eye check done and the examiner found some "macular changes" which need further investigation. Apparently I'm too young to have these changes occurring so they need to find the cause. My eye sight is good in both eyes and I don't wear corrective lenses. I have looked up literature on these issues (both JAA Medical Examiner Guidelines and other literature on Macular Changes). The JAA material does mention the condition but says that I should be ok to pass a medical provided it does not interfere with my ability to do my job. (Try telling them that!!!!). I don't want to draw attention to the fact that this is going on, ie. by asking the chief medical officer about it. It just seems that, from experience with testing done for the kerataconus, trying to get any sort of an answer out of the Aviation Authority seems hopeless sometimes.

If there is anyone out there with a similar condition please pm me because I'd like to know more about your experience with passing a medical. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

29th Oct 2006, 21:30
What are the "macular changes" and who was the examiner - optometrist, doctor etc. etc.?

batninth
7th Nov 2006, 19:52
JR - Look at your PMs