PDA

View Full Version : Pets as Cargo over Atlantic

keg167l
29th Oct 2006, 15:15
Does anyone have experience of shipping pets from USA to UK via Pets Passport scheme. I am faced with bringing 2 cats from MIA to LHR and BA and Virgin are the operators offering the scheme. I have had phone and email contact with both, and received lots of paper from both. Now to decide which to use

1. Are there any major items that I should look out for?
2. Any reports of past experience in this field, particularly with either airline, would help.

Thanks

Keg

Smiliesam
30th Oct 2006, 11:10
Brought a dog in from New Zealand on Pet Passport with BA. We had to pay for two days extra in kennels in Sydney airport because the blood titre date was 2 days short of 6 months. Dates are everything.
Know of another 2 dogs brought in via Heathrow from the US in the last couple of months from Dulles; the Animal reception centre at Heathrow is extrememly well set up. No problems were encountered.Again these were BA; not tried Virgin for animal transport.
Just make sure you have enough room in the car to bring the crates home with you (if you want them..)
regards, Hazel and the Smiliesams:)

keg167l
30th Oct 2006, 21:02
Thank you for that. The only significant differences I have found so far are:

1. Virgin have a max 'animal load' of 2 animals per aircraft whereas BA have no limit.
2. BA won't take a booking earlier than 13 days before flight and Virgin will book at any time.

We have already found the titre trap; it has delayed the trip by four months already. Paperwork is now (fingers crossed) totally in order.

Any further reports would be welcome.

Keg