PDA

View Full Version : Meet the air-conditioned Marines at camp-do-nothing in Afganistan

Stuff
29th Oct 2006, 09:57
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=413223&in_page_id=1770

Apparently our marines are busying themselves eating, taking showers, playing pool, watching television and sending e-mails home in preference to actually fighting the Taleban.

It beggars belief that a journo can actually write this drivel. I feel ashamed for investing my £1.40 in this rag this morning.

vecvechookattack
29th Oct 2006, 10:27
Are you suggesting that the RM's are not eating, taking showers etc.

What's fighting the Taleban got to do wth it? They are not there to fight the taleban

wg13_dummy
29th Oct 2006, 10:30
More to the point, what the hell are you doing buying the Sunday feMail??

jayteeto
29th Oct 2006, 11:26
I have read the article and thought it showed the RM in a good light. They want to get out and do the biz but are being told to stay in. Why are you annoyed with it????

wg13_dummy
29th Oct 2006, 11:35
The headline appears to be the usual eye catcher (I suppose thats what they are designed to do). Implying the troops are doing **** all and have it cushy. The article does actually give quite a good balance.

muppetofthenorth
29th Oct 2006, 11:56
I thought it was a pretty well written piece, my only grievance is that it's in the Mail...

It does show that the supply chain at least seems to be working well, that home comforts are available to those on the front and that they're not being put into any unneccessary danger.

Stuff
29th Oct 2006, 12:14
I have read the article and thought it showed the RM in a good light. They want to get out and do the biz but are being told to stay in. Why are you annoyed with it????

Because if you read the article then you find out the the current "inactivity" is due to a lockdown being enforced. If you don't read the full thing you get the distinct impression from the headline and the pictures of pool tables that life is cushy and in fact they are on a good deal. I also object to the description of 30 minutes of phone calls a week (isn't it actually 20 minutes??) as being "luxury".

Perhaps I got out of bed on the wrong side this morning...

Two's in
29th Oct 2006, 12:46
If you look in a cess pool, what would you expect to see? - it's the Daily Mail.

RichardIC
29th Oct 2006, 13:25
How dare they be fed and air-conditioned "at the taxpayer's expense".

Now go out there and get shot like we're paying you to do:bored:

jayteeto
29th Oct 2006, 15:08
The Mail haven't ordered the lockdown, the bosses have. I stand by my comments, it shows the rank and file military in a good light for once.

TheWizard
29th Oct 2006, 15:16
I also object to the description of 30 minutes of phone calls a week (isn't it actually 20 minutes??) as being "luxury".
Perhaps I got out of bed on the wrong side this morning...
As part of the "all new" welfare package all overseas troops are entitled to 30 minutes instead of 20. Woohoo, makes me want to go on another tour :hmm:

Colonal Mustard
29th Oct 2006, 16:44
Perfect example of inginuity and "using your loaf"

Give 2500 Bootnecks a barren landscape and in time the corps will have created a camp which allows them to wind down using "British" pastimes.

Give a journo a good story and they fill it with s***

Who cares what the bootnecks camp has in stock, at least you can rely on`em to give a bloody good hiding to whoever attacks them:rolleyes:

L J R
29th Oct 2006, 18:58
I would allow them to stay in a 5* if they put their life on line because their elected leaders send them. Get off their back, allow them any luxury, cos one day their mum, brother, wife and kid might not see them.

War is hell. Get a Grip Journo.

Army Mover
30th Oct 2006, 08:08
Shame the picture doesn't actually show any Marines though.

GPMG
30th Oct 2006, 09:23
Gasp....shock.....horror.....Royal Marines are taking showers....stop the press.

If you want to get bootnecks fighting then just take away their showers and reduce them to living like pongo's, nothing will piss them off more.

Once security is sorted the next thing on a bootnecks mind is a few home comforts. We'd always manage to fashion a shower stall out of something. And the chefs would always be able to put something tasty together even with gash rations.

When on op haven my brother was quite happy with his tented accom......with marble tiled patio area and shower cubicle which had been borrowed from one of Saddams palace stores.