PDA

View Full Version : DESO Interview for DEFO Position?????

localizer44
27th Oct 2006, 16:39
Hey guys and gals, please excuse me if this question has been address elsewhere on this forum. I am unable to find a specific answer to my particular question.

I have been offered and accepted a DESO 1st interview in November, although , my desired position is in the Freighter Fleet as a DEFO. I have spoken with Ms.Rachel Haines and she has told me that I am about 800 hours, or approx one year, light on PIC light jet experience, ( I am currently in the Cl-604) to be "competitive" for the DEFO Freighter fleet.

My question is, is it possible to be considered for the DEFO at the DESO interview? or am I better off to wait until I am "competitive" for the DEFO since that is my true goal? Also, would I be burning any bridges or causing any ruckus to attend the DESO interview and then express my preference to be considered for the DEFO position.
Are they different interviews for the DESO and DEFO positions? Does anybody have any insight on this?

treholer
28th Oct 2006, 02:09
It is not unheard of for people to interview for SO and be offered a DEFO position, although I believe they met the stated hours requirements. I guess the question is for what particular reasons do you not want an SO interview now?

Don't want to be an SO, don't want to live in Hong Kong, can't bear to be parted with the country you presently live in

Although I have absolutely nothing to do with recruiting, they would be the questions I would ask.

Harbour Dweller
28th Oct 2006, 05:44
My question is, is it possible to be considered for the DEFO at the DESO interview?
The answer in short is Yes.

Also, would I be burning any bridges or causing any ruckus to attend the DESO interview and then express my preference to be considered for the DEFO position.

You have possibly already set your self up for a fall. You have already been told that your not competitive enough for DEFO.

You have accepted the DESO interview yet your saying your not really interested being an SO. CX will hammer you in the interview as to if you really want to join the company.

Be prepared to answer the big questions regarding "Why CX, do you want to live in HKG and why etc etc...

Why do you not want to be an SO?

Have you thought of taking the SO position, getting the seniority number then getting your extra hours on a CX aircraft. When you have them apply for the Freighter FO position. Not many guys wanting to go back that way.

Having said all that I know of guys who have turned down CX interviews 3 times and still been invited back.

Numero Crunchero
28th Oct 2006, 15:22
I don't know the exact requirements but I have heard it is at least 1000hrs and I think they want 737+. I guess recruiting can afford to be choosy for a while as they haven't recruited pax FOs since 96. I don't know your personal circumstances but if it was me I would take the SO position...DOJ is all important. You can always commute(especially to OZ) in the early years and wait for your upgrade to bring family up.
Anyway, good luck

JSB
31st Oct 2006, 15:07
Hey LLZ 44,
Some good advice mentioned from the previous posters. It is correct that it is not unheard of; perhaps at the conclusion of the first interview (when it is likely that you'll be asked if you have any questions) bring it up then.
Of course you will need to be diplomatic and word it carefully but the interviewers may have a different view than the recruiting office.
Give it a go, just stress that you'd LOVE a job as a CX SO, but is it possible to be also considered as DEFO...?
JSB:ok:

HeavyWrenchFlyer
3rd Nov 2006, 06:23
Hi localizer, I was in the same exact situation as you describe... so let me tell you exactly what happened. I was offered a DESO interview and after accepting it (I was sure she said DEFO on the phone until I got home and checked the confirmation e-mail) I e-mailed them back and asked if I might be considered for the DEFO during the interview and they said no, that I was short of the competitive reqs for the DEFO and I could continue updating until I have it and they will call me then. And they weren't kidding, they called me again as soon as I had what they asked for, which was 4000TT and 2000JET (I was short almost 800JET) for the DEFO. This is pretty recent, first call for the DESO was MAY 2005 and the second for the DEFO was AUG 2006 with two updates in between. My problem with it was that I have two teenagers 15 & 16 and moving them right now won't be easy while I actually fancy the idea of moving to HK after they're out of HS and in college in a few years. But expect to have to give a good explanation when you finally go to the interview, they sure wanted to know my reasons and thought process on the matter... once they had it, they were happy with it.