PDA

View Full Version : Help with computer spec

Felix Saddler
27th Oct 2006, 14:42
Hi, i was wondering if you could help me. I have just purchased the new flight sim X and was wondering if my system needs upgrading. I currently have a 3.0ghz pentium 4 proccessor, 1GB RAM, sufficient hardrive and a ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128bit.
What could i change to increase its performance? I.E, new graphics card? Any recomendations?

Regards,

Felix

Mercenary Pilot
27th Oct 2006, 15:17
I recommend you start by upping your RAM to around 3 GB and see how that is but changing your graphics card to a 256 will give you a much nicer level of complexity and frame rate.

:ok:

Felix Saddler
27th Oct 2006, 15:45
Thanks very much, theres only one problem with upping the ram to 3gb. I only have 2 RAM slots on the motherboard

Mercenary Pilot
27th Oct 2006, 16:56
2MB of RAM it is then :}.

It should still be okay, spend the money you saved on the memory on a better graphix card instead. :ok:

Felix Saddler
27th Oct 2006, 20:44
What kinda graphics card should i get?

Mercenary Pilot
27th Oct 2006, 21:14
Depends on your budget really, you could go all out with a water cooled card...something like the Sapphire Blizzard X1900 XTX

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/graphics/normal/hardware/h937.jpg

Expect to pay around £400 for one... :{ :ok:

Try googling "Graphic card reviews" theres alot of unbias IT information out there. Personally I have been disappointed with my ATI card (I cant stand the catalyst software/drivers, nothing but trouble) and wouldnt buy another one, how have you found yours?

Also check out the flight sim websites, alot of them do hardware reviews especially for MSFS users, so you might find exactly what you need that way. :)

Felix Saddler
28th Oct 2006, 00:01
I havent had a problem with my ATI card, it's just i want to update as i need something more powerful