PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for the airlines

starshiptrooper
27th Oct 2006, 08:18
Military aircrew seem to know more about leaving for the airlines than civvies so I thought this would be the best forum to ask !

Have a couple of questions and be interested to hear what people have done/are going to do.

I have just finished the Navy with 1300hrs Heli. Just finished to whole Bristol GS thing, with Class 1 in hand and now looking to do some hrs building. My plan is to do the Exeter course next year as has a v good reputation. I only have 30hrs P1 on Aeroplanses so need to hrs build.

What do I need to do license/visa wise to fly in the States/Canada to hrs build? (Would be interested to hear peoples experience with different schools)

Is it worth doing my ME CPL overseas rather than in Exeter (cost wise) or does to really make no difference in the long run ?

Thanks all in advance

scroggs
27th Oct 2006, 10:37
If you intend to undertake a formal course of training in the USA, you will need a visa (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7484&highlight=visa). If you intend only to hour-build, your flying is essentially recreational and is covered by the Visa Waiver scheme. You may, however, have to have written confirmation of your initial aircraft hire arrangements on entry to the USA. Check with the US Embassy's website for further information.

The Private Flying forum may well have more information regarding licencing requirements for recreational flying in the USA.

Scroggs

Professor Plum
27th Oct 2006, 10:51
It may be worth contacting the RAFs flying clubs, and seeing if they'll let you fly with them. You could perhaps do all of your hour building in the UK at reasonable rates.

airborne_artist
27th Oct 2006, 11:18
PP is right. RAF Benson's FC (www.rafbfc.co.uk/) will be as cheap as Stateside, by the time you've got there etc.

PM me for ideas on accom. in the area.

BANANASBANANAS
27th Oct 2006, 13:37
Beagle is usually the man in the know on this subject. I am sure he will enlighten you shortly.:ok: