PDA

View Full Version : Would Anyone Vote Conservative ?

L Peacock
26th Oct 2006, 21:36
A different way of asking the question. Is there really a choice?

GasFitter
26th Oct 2006, 21:44
NO WAY!:ugh:

Ubiquitous
26th Oct 2006, 21:48
Definantly. I actually became a member earlier in the week - only £3 for under 22's. Hopefully they will not treat our Armed Forces in the same manner as Labour, but I won't hold my breath. At the very least, I expect less deadwood in a Tory cabinet such as Ruth Kelly and John Prescott.

Kitbag
26th Oct 2006, 22:30
Damned if you do, damned if you don't

microlight AV8R
26th Oct 2006, 22:37
Depends which conservative party you mean. The one I always voted for no longer exists. Much the same as the trad labour party is no more. Don't forget folks... The conservatives were making severe cuts to the defence budget before Mr Bliar got in. Nowt to choose between em :bored:

Navaleye
26th Oct 2006, 22:53
I will vote for the party that:

Reduces income tax
Abolishes Inheritance tax on family homes
Boots out asylum scroungers

and a lot more besides...

Roghead
26th Oct 2006, 22:58
I'd rather vote for Mrs Ros Pritchard.
:*

QFIhawkman
26th Oct 2006, 23:00
Reduces income tax

Yeah, because that'll see so much more money in the coffers for all the improvements that everyone wants won't it?

I give up, I really do.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Navaleye
26th Oct 2006, 23:05
The money that govt wastes on our behalf is astonishing. It can't go on for ever, someone has to get a grip before its too late.

GasFitter
26th Oct 2006, 23:15
Yeah, because that'll see so much more money in the coffers for all the improvements that everyone wants won't it?
I give up, I really do.
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
Whilst not a tory, it stands to reason that the money that people get back in tax reductions aren't just stuffed under the mattress, but spent in the economy, which means that more people are employed, which means that more people pay income tax and therefore more money is raised for the Govt! Simple really!

:rolleyes:

Confucius
26th Oct 2006, 23:17
Alternatively, if one doesn't believe in the zeitgeist of the society that is being foisted upon us, one leaves (but to where?!). There is NO choice anymore, British society is moving in a direction that it is pretty much impossible to back out of, for better or for worse.

Taffer
26th Oct 2006, 23:19
Reduces income tax
Abolishes Inheritance tax on family homes
Boots out asylum scroungers
and a lot more besides...

Does the 'lot more besides' include revision of council tax?
A tax based solely on the value of your property, rather than your ability to pay and the services you actually use?

So people of more modest income who scrimped and saved to buy a home in a 'nice' area to give themselves and their kids a decent life, who have seen their property rise in value, are suddenly the losers? Thanks a bunch.

Re:QFIhawkman - There has never been a major problem with the money coming into HM Govt.'s coffers - the major problem has been the CF of distributing this income efficiently.

It might just be my chronic pessimism, but I doubt any party will ever be able to do the above effectively.

So, in reply to L Peacock's question, there really isn't much of a choice.

Sigh........................................................

Melchett01
26th Oct 2006, 23:27
A tax based based solely on the value of your property, rather than your ability to pay and the services you actually use?

That's why the Poll Tax was so much farer - why should an single pensioner who happens to have a nice house having worked and paid for it all their life get screwed just because the value of the property has gone up and the rates are cripplingly high

You pay taxes to fund local services - it seems to make sense then that the form of taxation should be related to those services rather than property. But then again, all the scroungers on the council estates that can't be arsed to work will claim it is unfair - and I guess it is - on every body else if you live in a council house on a low rate band which gets paid for you anyway. The Poll Tax was a great leveller, only the scroungers faced with the prospect of having to get off their arses for the first time since 1977 didn't think so. Then again, the riots were probably the first exercise some of them had had for years.

I'd rather vote for Mrs Ros Pritchard

And who the hell is this Ros Pritchard

SET 18
26th Oct 2006, 23:30
QFI Hawkman, perhaps giving up is not such a bad idea mate.

Lowering taxes does increase government revenue. The lower an individual's or company's tax, the more revenue is generated. This, in turn is spent (by and large) on the Nation's economy and thereby more money is sloshing around for all to enjoy.

Ten years ago, when the UK was a low-tax economy, it flourished (no, this is not a party-political statement) and now, when we are suffering one of the highest tax levels in the EU, I don't think we are any more...

Navaleye
27th Oct 2006, 00:06
Personally I think the Community Charge was fair. It was just the great unwashed scrounger community that objected to it.

Its quite simple. Get a job or you don't get any money. If you are offered two wage paying jobs and you choose not to take them then you get nothing. Period. I lived in the US for several years that system works well.