PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Whiteboards

bar fly
26th Oct 2006, 16:12
I would be interested in information and advice about the above. I currently use several white boards to display data which includes companies & figures etc and would much prefer to have this done electronically from my computer and displayed on the board. This way figures are less likely to have errors and graphs and projections etc would be easier to create. This info has to be visible from say 3 metres away. Does anyone use something like this and could they recommend one to me? what sort of price should I pay?

I appreciate any help.

airborne_artist
26th Oct 2006, 16:36
This (http://www.prometheanworld.com/uk/html/uksolutions/products/activboard.shtml) kind of thing?

Used at my daughter's primary school for about the last three years. Teachers love it.

Change out of £3k.

Bartender
26th Oct 2006, 17:01
Hey, my Engineering Maths lecturer has a touch screen laptop type device (I don't know any more details sorry) which he plugs into the projector and he has an instant interactive whiteboard. From what I've seen from it so far it's great, can teach to a whole lecture theater of nearing 300 students. As an added benefit, the lecturer can look up and tell us what he's doing instead of turning around, he therefore doesn't hafto turn away from us students at all. Moving from the interactive board to powerpoint slides is no problem either, the transition does look very professional. We had Activboards in my old school though and they also presented no problems apart from the whole turning around thing.

Hope it helps.

Brian Dixon
26th Oct 2006, 19:01
Bar Fly,
I have to agree with Airborne Artist. I'm on the Governing Body for a school which had the interactive boards fitted throughout the school. Absolutely superb piece of kit.

Prices as described, but there may be second hand boards out there somewhere.

Good luck.
Brian

Mr Lexx
26th Oct 2006, 19:49
Bartender,

You were looking at a "tablet" pc, and the tutor was using "windows journal":ok:

bar fly
31st Oct 2006, 15:46
Thanks guys. The one you suggest looks great airborne_artist, I might look into that further as I particlarly like the idea that the projector is attached to it's frame.

Much appreciated, and apologies for the late reply.

bar fly :ok:

Oxeagle
2nd Nov 2006, 10:32
I agree with all of the above posts, the interactive whiteboards are very useful bits of kit. However, something worth bearing in mind is the cost of replacement lamps for the projectors. A big portion of my previous job entailed looking after 50 or so interactive whiteboards, and we were always replacing lamps. They tend to last around 1,500-2,000 hours dependant upon the projector model, and cost anywhere from £150 to £500 per lamp!

Try XMA, they were our supplier and normally gave us a good deal http://www.xmaonline.co.uk/products.aspx?L1=AV&L2=IW

Ox :)