PDA

View Full Version : Life after cabin crew

Pandora's Box
26th Oct 2006, 08:53
Guys and Gals,

I am stuck in a rut!!!!

I have been flying 7 years now and i've had enough and am desperate to get out :{ :{

Only thing is, what else can we do after crew that pays as good money and with no qualifacations :ugh:

I would prefer to stay in the aviation industry, again not good money. I could never work behind a desk on 9 til 5.

So as you see, stuck in a rut.

Any advice would be great.

chipmunkj
26th Oct 2006, 10:15
Pandora---
Lots of life after flying---you just have to go out and look!!
First, find out what you are interested in and start having a good look round.
I was in the same boat a few years ago, so after my kids had grown up a bit, i went and trained as a swim teacher ( which was my chosen sport) while still flying part time. However i do know people who have trained while flying full time, as all the courses are now in modules.
I now work when and where i want ,mainly doing supply teaching, untill i retire, when i will take on more regular hours.
Pay is £16--£30 an hour ,depending on what type of teaching you are doing ie private work, mother & baby, school swimming etc.
So many crews forget that they have good "transferable skills" that can be used in many other jobs.
Best of luck.

TJ747
26th Oct 2006, 10:29
PANDORA'S BOX:

There are a whole host of things you can do. If you wanting to stay within aviation, how about maybe trying to get in as a rep / check-in or something. If you have been flying for 7yrs then your knowledge of CAP371 etc, maybe you could go into crewing or an ops/crewing envirnoment. You still get the banter with crews still plus its quite a responsible job and can lead to many other things.

Or i know alot people come out of travel all together and go into restaurant management or something along those lines. Depending where you are based you mayve be able to get in with a tour operator which may have various positions available.

Another role some people go into is Real estate, still meeting people and you get to go out and about and the money can be quite rewarding too for good sellers.

Lots of things to consider, let us know how you get on.

Good Luck in whatever you do

Cheers

TJ747

flyblue
26th Oct 2006, 12:54
I have a couple of friends who have stopped flying and had no qualifications. One trained to be a Flight Dispatcher, the other one went to on to sell GA aircraft!

FormerFlyer
26th Oct 2006, 13:47
I left and became a travel agent (for a little longer than intended)...but I didn't stop @ flogging holidays. I moved up and around the local shops ending up (at one point) by being assistant manager of a store which had about 30 staff. No quals needed there...the pay was pants to start with though.

Now - I'm on my way outa that and retraining to be a driving instructor. I start teaching on 8th January :eek: Earn shedloads and can work the hours you want - the 2 main reasons for me making this move.

So you see....there is life after flying, thank goodness :ok:

cheers ;)
FF

calvink
29th Oct 2006, 15:31
Not pretty sure this topic has been brought up before....but would like to hear from u all....what are the options available after you have decided not to continue with FA jobs after serving them for certain years

heard that with the experience as a FA would not guarantee you an office job, say marketing exec cause you dont have the RELEVANT EXPERIENCE, though u might have the degree...

In fact, choice are very limited. One of my fren told me once you;re one, you're stuck with it. If he's not a FA for five years with this airline, god knows what he will become today.....

Kindly advise...

vodkaholic
30th Oct 2006, 10:41
well i suppose it depends what other kind of qualifications you have...also it depends what you want to do. the way i see it is that you shouldnt let anything put you off doing a job you would love to do. i mean, somehting like being a doctor, a lawyer etc obviously requires a lot of training but if it is what you want to do then go for it!

Pandora's Box
30th Oct 2006, 12:13
Calvink.

If you go onto page 2, you will see that this topic has already been covered, by myself, also titled "life after cabin crew"

If you have a read their are some pretty good suggestions on what you could do.

I have decided to do part time flying and learn a course in me free time, so hopefully in a years time i can leave and do a career in my chosen course :ok:

Turroncin
3rd Nov 2006, 16:23
I thought working as crew was really limiting my future potential to get a grown up job so left. Ended up working for the civil service which has the advantage of offering jobs outside doing an office job which dont care about your past experience serving hot meals and coffee and just look at your skills. I still work at the airport of course just as an immigration officer instead!

jupiter2
4th Nov 2006, 00:38
Yes, there is life out there I am happy to say, having left the business after many years.
Work is such a big part of your life and it's important to be happy in it.
My reason for leaving was because I was, no longer happy in roles that had become repetitive, monotonous and no longer challenging. When I realised that it was affecting my relationships with family and friends I took steps to become the change I wanted to see.
Reinventing yourself takes a fair bit of courage I agree. I have completely
exited aviation and have taken with me many wonderful memories. My new occupation has made me feel empowered and confident and more importantly has made me feel rejuvenated again.
One of the most important things that I have realised in this journey is also this fact. It is what happens at home that matters so much more in life for me now and not so much what happens in the work place.
Enjoy the freedom!