PDA

View Full Version : 4GB SD cards - beware!

IO540
26th Oct 2006, 08:02
These have just come out. I bought one, from www.insight.com (http://www.insight.com) for about £60 - not bad!

It works in a Motion LS800 tablet computer (I actually copied 4GB to it) and appears to work in an HP4700 PDA, but fails to work in a Casio EX-S600 and a Pentax DL DSLR.

I was aware that there is an issue with SD over 2GB (the interface and/or the filing system changes; Windoze XP offers only a FAT32 format option on it) but one needs to be careful. Those two cameras are both 2006 versions...

Conan the Librarian
26th Oct 2006, 12:31
Will the card format in the Tampax? Always best to format in the device for which it is being used, but I would be surprised if the camera won't do it. If so, then go and ask the supplier for another one. You shouldn't really have this problem with a mass consumer product, (which it soon will be) so it could be a duffer.

Conan

PS If it does fail in the camera(s) then it might just be worth a quick check to see if the manufacturers have released a firmware update. If they have, then just don't load it with the 4GB card :-)

IO540
26th Oct 2006, 13:30
It fails to format in all products in which it doesn't work otherwise.

As you say, these will be mainstream soon, so a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Fortunately for me, I got it for a specific reason and 2GB cards are just fine for everything else.