View Full Version : Questions On Indian License Conversion

freightpuppy
26th Oct 2006, 01:22
Hello Folks,
I am sure this has been discussed before, but am in doubt about a few things.
First of this my present situation:
I have an FAA ATP and am flying for a FAR Part 121 carrier.
Have PIC endorsement on my license of the aircraft I fly.
I do NOT have an Indian CPL or ATPL.
Have an OCI certificate.

Here are the questions:
1)Can I convert my FAA ATP to an INDIAN CPL by giving the CPL composite paper. ( I am guessing the answer is a yes)
2)If I do get my Indian CPL based on my FAA ATP, can I get an INDIAN ATPL based on my FAA ATP by just passing the Air Regulation exam since I am flying for a scheduled Airline as a Captain and I have PIC endorsement on my license.(heard something about that one can)
3) If I cant, then can I get an INDIAN ATPL by passing the composite papers or do I have to appear for all the subjects.
4)I have a UK Radio license issued here in the US, what would be the procedure to convert that- heard somthing about them (Sanchar Bhavan)wanting a visa proof on you passport to be submitted with all the paperwork.I assume they want to see that you have actually travelled to the UK, but in my case it was issued here and I reside here.
5) I have an expired RTR license from India from 1992- how can I renew that if at all.
6) Lastly, I know OCIs are working now in India, but can anyone give more insight on what is involved as far DGCA, Airlines and securith clearances is concerned.:rolleyes:

freightpuppy
27th Oct 2006, 06:45
Well Anyone ??:confused:

Pushpak
27th Oct 2006, 10:56
If you are a Capt and i guess you have sufficient experience....why not join any of the airlines in India and let them help you. Why bother converting to an Indian licence... sure you can fly on a validation....To deal with DGCA, its going to be an experience which i dont think you want to go through..
Cheers, Good luck

freightpuppy
27th Oct 2006, 18:42
Thanks for the response Pushpak.I am flying an airplane which is not flown by by any airlines in India.So in other words I dont have the "Time in type" which leads me to going this route.If there was any other way of getting an India ATPL, I would like to know. Suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance:rolleyes:

Freight-Dog
2nd Nov 2006, 05:36
Freight Puppy , Either you get a job with a airline that has the same planes that you want to fly in India or ----------------

What you have to do is convert your FAA licence to an Indian Licence for that all you have to do is give pass 2 written tests

ALTP Composite ( A combination of Metrology and Air Navigation) Use Ground Studies for pilots avaliable from Amazon.com and Ai Regulations - USe Mr Bali's Book avaliable from the English Book Store in New DElhi , just google it ,

After passing the papers , You have to get an Indian FRTO which can be issued if you have A Canadian or British Licence the US FCC licence is not recognised by India

Get a Class I medical In India

Do your Checkrides in any local flying club

Submit the paper work To DGCA

From there it should take you anywhere from 4 days to a Month to get your licence

Good Luck

freightpuppy
4th Nov 2006, 19:30
[Freight Dog:
(""Either you get a job with a airline that has the same planes that you want to fly in India or ----------------"")

Thanks for the response, although, you know how it is here in the US to find a job that flies 737s.320s etc and getting a command on those is another story.Hence my questions which I had posted.
I am slightly aware of the procedure for conversion, do you have any idea on what to expect with my specific situation - (refer to my questions.):rolleyes:
Anyone, suggestions welcome.
Thanks
FP

Freight-Dog
5th Nov 2006, 03:18
To be more specific for your questions

1) Yes you can
2) You have to give 2 papers ( composite and regulation)
3) You have to give ALTP composite ( no need to give regulation paper) and the Oral exam after that.

4) about the RT yes UK RT in US is valid , they just dont like the idea of UK RT being done in India ,

5) It is easy to renew , just give them proof that you have flown 30 hours in the last 3 years or 15 hrs in the last year

about clearence etc i have no clue , but freight puppy ---- who do you fly for and what equipment ------------Good Luck Buddy and listen If you wanna fly in India Go NOW !!! next year there will be atleast 2000 unemployed pilots in India ( there are a million indians training all over the world right now )