PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Denied ELC for ATPL

Backwards PLT
25th Oct 2006, 08:09
I've put in the paperwork to do the standard Bristol Groundschool (Military Bridging as I have the 2000 hrs). Checked the website, approved provider / course etc, but have been told that because I am not on official resettlement I cannot use ELC for the course, unless I can show that it is a positive benefit for the service.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Or has anyone else done this course not on resettlement and not had this problem? I blame the army (they run the education centre)! I would be very grateful for any info (might even buy beer!)

Thanks

Almost_done
25th Oct 2006, 10:38
Just a question, but did you include a Personal Development Plan with your application? As this is one of the big problems people are having with the ELC Application.

You have to use the PDP to authenticate your claim, it can show the needs of the course are going to benifit the Service and you such as improved knowledge of CAA regs, operational requirements etc.... They can refuse it on Service interest grounds, but, it is the strength of your PDP that will make the application stand or fall.

You must also ensure that they recive the application at a minimum of 21 days before your course starts.

DownloadDog
25th Oct 2006, 15:57
I had a similar problem, alas, tell them you are doing it to improve your knowledge of all things aviation eg instruments, air law, performance.... Which will benefit the service as you are more knowledgeable. Furthermore, if you are or going to be a QFI/QPNI/QPI/QTI (or whatever they are calling it theses days), then say it is a necessary part of your work-up to get B1/A2 Status.

Also use your SLCs to pay for the sitting of the exams.

Alternativley, PVR and then you won't have a problem getting food, accom and fees paid.

Bristol are great!

SuckMyLozenge
25th Oct 2006, 17:53
At least 2 people that I know at Waddington have undertaken the ATPL with Bristol using the ELC scheme. I know there are other applications in progress at the moment. I wasn't aware that you could use the SLC for the exams - advice from our learning centre is to the contrary. I think it maybe depends on your unit and their understanding or interpretation of the regulations. Did the ELC application get denied by your unit or my ELCAS?

RODF3
25th Oct 2006, 19:56
I had no problems using my ELC, you just need to include some statement that it will further enhace your professional knowledge. You do not need to be on resettlement.

Rob's Dad
25th Oct 2006, 20:47
Backwards

Not sure if you are PVRing or are not yet in your last 2 years of service? I had almost same prob as I'm non-2 winged master race and was flat refused on 'service interest' grounds when I first applied. But since I got within 2 years of that magic 16 figure I have been able to use ELC for both ATPL theory and flying training. I found the best way to argue my case (sadly had to, though not to either the Resettlement Clerk or ELCAS) was to highlight that as ELC can be used for up to 10 years after leaving, it is silly to suggest training must be "in the service's interests" when in the resettlement phase.:ugh: I can also recommend speaking to the Resettlement Clerk at an RAF unit rather than your parent unit. Good luck.

RD