PDA

View Full Version : UK ATPL renewal: worth getting JAR CPL also?

aye aye skip
25th Oct 2006, 05:49
Hi, guys and gals
It's that time of the decade when I have to fork out yet more loadsamoney to renew my CAA ATPL (5 years have gone by). In view of the fact that I wish to make myself as employable as possible within biz aviation in Europe (not interested in the airlines), is it worth my while going for a JAR CPL as well? Most of my flying has been single pilot ops, including some in single pilot jets, so I have no multi pilot time as of yet (but I have done the MCC course), and therefore I cannot yet obtain a JAR ATPL. I do have a full FAA ATP also, but that's not going to be useful for any JAR Ops1 operator...
The CAA website does not make it clear if I can have a JAR CPL licence in parallel with my CAA ATPL, and I'm loathe to give up my ATPL. So my question is: do I just renew my ATPL or do I pay the CAA even more dosh in order to get a JAR CPL also? Can one have both licences at the same time? Or do I wait for an offer of employment, provided I obtain a JAR CPL? It's all rather confusing.
I look forward to hearing any helpful comments and/or advice.
Cheers,
aye aye skip

Crosswind Limits
25th Oct 2006, 07:43
I know of someone who gave up a UK ATPL to get a JAR CPL and from the sound of it was in a similar position to you. He now has a JAR ATPL having spent the last 2 years flying biz jets. However, I don't have his contact details.

Why not give the CAA a call and speak to someone in FCL?

Miles Magister
25th Oct 2006, 12:49
Talk to FCL and get the answer in writing. I do not think they renew CAA licenses and always issue a JAR one whether you like it or not.

MM

aye aye skip
31st Oct 2006, 13:55
Thanks for that, chaps. I have just come off the phone with a very knowledgeable fellow from FCL (cor blimey! the phone was answered on the second ring!!! :D ), and he said I can renew my antique CAA ATPL no problem. Apparently, it does not have to be a JAA one after all. However, I now understand that I can also get an additional JAA CPL, if so desired, provided there are still valid ratings on my current licence. Looks like I'll have to get yet another box of choccies for the bank manager's missus, in order to be able to pay for 2 Gatwick issued licences...
Anyway, thanks again.