PDA

View Full Version : FLYER Professional Flight Training Show, 4th Nov '06

BlueRobin
24th Oct 2006, 20:12
So who's going?

There will be more airlines there this time so worth popping a few questions at them that go unanswered here.

cityjet
1st Nov 2006, 22:00
Hi all,

I will be making the trip up to Heathrow from Paris. Should be worth it, i really need to get some questions answered. The PPRUNE forums are mind blowing with all the different opinions and approaches. I have one approach i wish to follow want to see what the professionals think. I hope to that i come out of the exhibition on saturday with a little bit of a clearer vision of everything.

Thanks

Franks

will fly for food 06
2nd Nov 2006, 09:15
il be there,

BigAl's
2nd Nov 2006, 09:44
Hi all,

what's the start time? Is there a website with attendees etc?

Ta muchly,

Al

BigAl's
2nd Nov 2006, 10:13
OK, so I have now found the website! :} :rolleyes:

Ere' it is! http://www.flyer.co.uk/exhibitions/

Enjoy!

will fly for food 06
2nd Nov 2006, 11:55
there is a thread already started somewhere on here, it had the link to the website, sorry i oculd nt be more helpful

DJRC
2nd Nov 2006, 12:17
The link is:

http://www.flyer.co.uk/exhibitions/

see you there

BigAl's
2nd Nov 2006, 12:37
Thanks for the responses chaps. Hope to be there in the morning! :)

will fly for food 06
2nd Nov 2006, 12:50
got myself on the sleeper from cornwall over night, so if you see me at paddington on saturday morning looking shattered on the way to heathrow you'll know why

cityjet
2nd Nov 2006, 13:16
Im sure you will be shattered, kinda glad its at heathrow. If you work in the industy. You get a discount on the heathrow express, 50% i think if i remember. I will be shattered too working till 10pm Fri night then back on a plane the following morning at 8am to get to heathrow. Will try to rap everything up by the afternoon after all the seminars so i can get back to paris early.

What experience is everyone going with???

If anyone fancies meeting up, send me a private message. Be cool to know what other people are thinking of doing!!

See ya

Frank

will fly for food 06
2nd Nov 2006, 13:31
have a good flight,
i have a military background

che turner
3rd Nov 2006, 13:52
Hi i will see you all there,look out for the one with a big smile on he,s face:)

will fly for food 06
3rd Nov 2006, 14:05
Hi i will see you all there,look out for the one with a big smile on he,s face:)
why the smile?

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
4th Nov 2006, 14:49
The Flyer exhibition back in '03 is where i started and never looked back. Its a fantastic set up, allows you to meet the schools an traning orgs. Make contacts, get all the details you can, go with questions to ask, these will help you make up your mind as to which route to take and where to go. Sit in the lecture sessions and listen to what airline reps want!! And before you know it you will be in the RHS at 0600 with the rain poring outside just about to get airborne into the sunshine for the next 8 hrs or so!

badboy raggamuffin
4th Nov 2006, 19:10
wasn't able to go myself this year, anyone willing to post saying which of the airlines had bods there and give a summary of what they said regarding recruitment next year? (numbers, requirements etc)
Would be very much appreciated, cheers.

BlueRobin
4th Nov 2006, 23:28
The airlines weren't massively visible and the seminar room was a lot smaller this time around. More FTOs though and spread over two rooms so on balance better.

I just like to add Malaga claim to get a lot of European particularly UK students take the IR though them. So which airlines do not take on people with "johnny foreigner" IRs eh? ;)

will fly for food 06
5th Nov 2006, 10:51
Some good stuff there. Got some email adresses to contact re jobs and training so i am happy bunny.

rick0
5th Nov 2006, 13:26
ah nuts just seen this post... looks really good - is this event annual? would have really liked to go. Maybe next year eh?

Eddie_Crane
5th Nov 2006, 14:43
It usually happens twice a year.
March and November.

Sul
5th Nov 2006, 17:29
Was a good day, quite useful. They had 3 seminars on funding, the class 1 medical and tips on interviews, CVs & applications. They were pretty packed out, and the only seminar that I didn't find a whole lot useful was (surprisingly) on funding - basically his message was "don't look at sponsorship - they don't do it anymore as they used to, raise the money yourself and then go for it".

The Guild of Air Pilots & Navigators there advised you to go take the aptitude tests at Cranwell. I'm thinking of going for it, it costs £175, anyone else thinking of having a go?

Also managed a bit of plane spotting when I had an hour free between seminars.. was great!

Leezyjet
5th Nov 2006, 18:21
I went along for an hour. Wanted to hear the seminars on the funding and the interview techniques, but seeing the size of the box they were doing it in, compared to previous events when they used a large confrence room, I didn't bother sticking around as it was already pretty full 30 mins before they were due to start.
Got a couple of nice key rings from the girl on the Jeppeson stand though !!.
Oh, used my usual trick to get in again, although I did notice that this time around they made everyone wear those little red wrist tags (they must have read my post on last years event :hmm: ).
:E :ok:

lovejoy
5th Nov 2006, 19:19
Did anyone speak to the FO from Eastern?
I left without getting his email address and if anyone would like to pm with it I would be grateful.
Thanks.

D'vay
5th Nov 2006, 20:23
Ricko et al,
I wouldn't be too dismayed that you missed the show. Frankly my experience with them is that I didn't find anything out that I didn't already at least half understand; and that the way in to commercial aviation isn't as cut and shut as some people believe, and worse, will have you believe.
I'd like to think that you won't put your plans on hold until the next flyer gig as very realistically, with hard work you could well find yourself in a flight instructors job or even flying aerial survey. Since gaining my PPL I have found very little of interest on this part of the site as I can find most of the information pertinant to me through the people tht I have met on the way.
Now maybe I have been lucky in finding the myself in the position that I am in now, certain people have told me this too. But frankly, that luck was made by myself, for going out and working for bottom dollar on an airfield with a well known vintage aviation company. There is always work to be done for your club or the other clubs that you will find dotted around the country. Keeping face at your airfield is an important tool in gaining information and sharing ideas and backdoors. Most importantly, you will find good new friends at airfields because everyone there has a common interest in aviation, in beer, in chit-chatting about aviation and beer and about one in eight of the people you meet would love nothing more than to go and have a game of badminton with you when you've had about all the aviation that you can have for one week.
What am I trying to say?
Being a clubman and meeting people who can talk aviation untl the cows come home will help you in keeping motivated with the long, arduous task of becoming a professional aviator, you will make many new friendships (the people I am fondest of are the people that I have met in this last year [yes even you Tiger_Moth]) and this will be appreciated by your less-aeronautically-fond current friends as you can get all of your aviation patter out before you go to meet them for a drink!!!
Now, go out there and enjoy your flying
Regards
D'vay
x

Sul
5th Nov 2006, 20:23
Not to mention the DA42 FNPT sim... what a treat :O

Ah - I tried that sim at the London Airshow earlier in the year at Earls Court Exhibition Centre - was good fun!

SinBin
6th Nov 2006, 20:06
Well as a fully qualified guy, I have to say for me personally, it was a great networking tool, at least two cvs sent off following requests from airline people there!