PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying ATPL subject?

badboy raggamuffin
24th Oct 2006, 18:01
Evening all fellow flying students.
Just wondering what everyone elses opinion is as to the most irritating ATPL subject?
Which one really gets/ got you steaming at the ears?

For me its got to be Operational Proceedures, page after page of boring standards and recommendations with no logical train of thought linking em together, coupled with unnecessarily specific and trivial feedback questions. I know its essential knowledge for any pilot worth his salt, but its still a right royal pain in the arse to learn! :ugh:

cparker
24th Oct 2006, 18:39
Air Law then PoF

Dozza2k
24th Oct 2006, 18:47
Radio Nav. why the **** do i care how a dme broadcaster works? hated that one

Deano777
24th Oct 2006, 18:53
Air Law & Ops Procedures, the epitamy of boredom

GgW
24th Oct 2006, 18:56
Principles of Flight, and Performance. Both relatively easy subjects but CAA likes to made up their questions from hell for these two.

matt_hooks
24th Oct 2006, 18:57
Sorry but it has to be Met, just because of the sheer volume of material there is to learn. This might be less of a problem with modular, as you can spend as much or as little time as you need depending on your existing knowledge. On the integrated course however you have a set amount of time and doing general nav, ops procedures, instrumentation and met in two months is a tough prospect!

Have to agree about the ops and air law, tho I did ok. Thank the lord for Bristol GS website, it's got me through at least 4 of the "knowledge based" exams!

Blinkz
24th Oct 2006, 19:05
Airlaw, its evil I tell you :mad:

Dufo
24th Oct 2006, 21:27
VFR comms, of course :E
For me it was meteo..

OneIn60rule
24th Oct 2006, 23:09
Everything else was okay except ASP, that was a lot of stuff to remember!

the_aviator
25th Oct 2006, 06:27
I didn't get on with Flight Planning in my last block as it is one of those subjects that you don't know how you have done until you get the exam results. There are usually plenty of opportunities to make a mistake. Navigation was the same. Luckily they are both passed and out the way now! :E

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2006, 08:48
Any of them written with a fixed wing bias!

Cheers

Whirls

Farrell
25th Oct 2006, 10:29
Air Law :\

potkettleblack
25th Oct 2006, 12:38
Air Law and MET. Air Law as it was completely mind numbingly boring and over the top and mostly irrelevant. MET cos it was sparse of anything of practical use to everyday flying which is a real shame. It had the potential to be a really useful and life saving course but the majority of the subject matter focussed on nit picky topics and irrelevant facts that in the scheme of things no one who flies the line really cares about. eg: I couldn't give a toss about the DALR or SALR and whether the CAA wanted to try and catch me out by quoting them in different units. But tell me about all the weather information available on the net and how to interpret it for VFR/IFR flying and then we can get somewhere.

Sal-e
25th Oct 2006, 12:52
Australian Flight Planning, for sure. 17% pass rate for first timers....every time.

howflytrg
25th Oct 2006, 13:47
I love the fact that Ops Procedures is full of "manual/publication should be designed with human factors principles" LOL! Perhaps JAR and ICAO should look at their own publications as they sure as hell need some human factors work done on them!:}

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ