PDA

View Full Version : Ditching 400 NM East of Tasmania

Overwait
24th Oct 2006, 10:38
Flying around East Sale today and was listening to a request by Flight Service (124.0) enquiring as to the availability of one of the RAAF Kingairs that was around Merimbula at the time, to go Tasmania.

ATC advised them that a plane was either preparing to ditch, or ditching 400 NM east of Tasmania.

Anyone heard what happened?

No Further Requirements
24th Oct 2006, 11:58
I'll ask around at work. 124.0 isn't Flight Service, it's Melbourne Centre ATC.......but for how long? :}

Cheers,

NFR.

No Further Requirements
25th Oct 2006, 12:08
My sources tell me that the aircraft continued on to NZ with some engine problems but landed safely.

Cheers,

NFR.

peuce
25th Oct 2006, 21:58
Flying around East Sale today and was listening to a request by Flight Service (124.0) enquiring as to the availability of one of the RAAF Kingairs that was around Merimbula at the time, to go Tasmania.

If you heard Flight Service ... it must have been re-transmitted from Freddy's plane !!

Overwait
26th Oct 2006, 01:29
Thanks for the follow up NFR...pleased to hear they made it...and yes, it is CENTRE and not Flight Service:bored: .

Freddys plane...not sure what you are getting at Peuce...Do you mean Freddo??;)

SB4200
27th Oct 2006, 00:57
A Bonanza I believe

glideslope
27th Oct 2006, 01:07
freddy's plane would be the Fred Valentich C182 from around 28 years ago. It was either ditched or spirited away by aliens.
My spies tell me that the 182 has just been found recently (in Bass Strait) and there is a doco to be made of the events of that fateful night.
Scully, Mulder, where are you when we need you...

Dog One
27th Oct 2006, 23:36
Having spent some time in the initial search, I would be interested where it was found.

PLovett
28th Oct 2006, 02:43
Geez, with the currents around King Island and 28 years to play around with a itty bitty 182 it could be anywhere, let alone still in Bass Straight. :}

Going Boeing
28th Oct 2006, 03:16
Having spent some time in the initial search, I would be interested where it was found.

I also spent some time in the initial search - arrived on the scene at approx 0400 and spent many hours looking for any trace of the aircraft. The only thing that we found was a small "slick" which may have been aircraft fuel. The RCC was going to send a vessel to the site of the "slick" to get a sample for analysis but of course we never got any feedback.

Over the years, I've seen a few books on UFO's which mention this event and it made interesting reading. These UFO researchers never contacted anyone involved with the search (at the site) and I suspect that they didn't because our analysis would not have been in line with the conclusion that they wanted.

glideslope
31st Oct 2006, 19:34
I'll check with Scully and Mulder and see if they are happy to divulge the info..