PDA

View Full Version : GF A340 Returns syd due gear prob

CLEARANCE AVAILABLE
23rd Oct 2006, 23:28
Heard the Gulf Air A340 returned to syd last night. Apparently the main gear would not retract. Did anybody here anything?

Natit
24th Oct 2006, 06:09
I guess it's better than retracting and then not coming down again :eek:

Sal-e
25th Oct 2006, 11:20
Being a Singapore Airlines aircraft, it reflects their (Sing) engineering standards. On the other hand, Gulf Air doesn't look after this aircraft because it doesn't belong to them.

Continental-520
25th Oct 2006, 12:20
Being a Singapore Airlines aircraft, it reflects their (Sing) engineering standards. On the other hand, Gulf Air doesn't look after this aircraft because it doesn't belong to them

Um, don't both of those sentences basically say the same thing?

What's generally the go in that sort of situation? Is it preferable to take the time to hold and dump fuel or just land over MLW?

The Messiah
25th Oct 2006, 12:24
You would only land over MLW when it was imperative to get back on the ground ASAP. This situation would be a fuel dump.

Sal-e
25th Oct 2006, 12:26
I guess in laymen's terms, Sing engineering suck and GF won't be tossed looking after a leased aircraft.
Unless there's reason to land overweight ie emergency, one should burn down to MLW or at least close to it. But for the A340, that's a long time so fuel dump would take care of that. If only Greenpeace knows........

Double Donk
25th Oct 2006, 19:58
They took the centre main gear off and loaded in the belly as cargo.
Got a photo on my phone, looks like a A330 on steroids.
Wonder how that would change t/o performance, are there any bus drivers that would know.

Tom Sawyer
25th Oct 2006, 21:31
Being a Singapore Airlines aircraft, it reflects their (Sing) engineering standards. On the other hand, Gulf Air doesn't look after this aircraft because it doesn't belong to them.
Seems you've jumped in without knowing any facts, such as why the gear did not retract. It could be a gear pin left in...nothing to do with SQ eng. It could be a LGCIU / sensor failure.....nothing to do with SQ eng. It could be a landing gear lever failure...nothing to do with SQ Eng. It could be anything, and any of them might not have anything to do with any engineering. Things do just fail no matter who does the engineering and to what standard.

Double Donk
25th Oct 2006, 22:57
I believe its Emirates engineering that handle GF in syd.