PDA

View Full Version : Schooling assistance

BlueEng
23rd Oct 2006, 05:23
Does anyone out there have kids in school on Lantau, as I have heard that there are a couple of International schools there, both with quite different prices. Does the CX school allowance cover the fees? :confused:

Thanks...

superfrozo
23rd Oct 2006, 11:53
The Cathay education allowance will not cover all education costs (nor is it designed to do so.) It doesn't matter where the school is (Lantau or otherwise) as the allowance is paid as a percentage of the fees.

Put simply, Cathay will cover 50% of fees for kindergaten children of 3 or 4 years of age (note: NOT child care or play groups). For primary and seconday school kids, they rate is 90% of the ESF (English Schools Foundation) fees or 75% of the International school fees, whichever is greater.

To give you some idea, for the international primary school on Lantau Island (Discovery Bay International School) the fees are about HK$70,000 per annum (10 month school year) meaning your out of pocket expenses are about HK$1800 per month. For comparison, the ESF primary school system (not located on Lantau) will leave you about HK$550 out of pocket per month.

Hope this helps.:ok:

BlueEng
24th Oct 2006, 13:08
Thanks Superfrozo, but isn't there another International school in Lantau? I have heard mixed stories of DBIS and some people moving to the other International School near Silvermine Bay. Am I mixing this up with the ESF you mention?

superfrozo
25th Oct 2006, 00:07
Hi BlueEng, yes there is another international (primary) school at Silvermine Bay/Mui Wo: South Lantau International School. It is much smaller than DBIS but it is a wonderful school much loved by students and parents alike. It is best placed for those living at South Lantau but there is a bus that runs from DB for students living there - note that the trip takes 45 minutes each way on a road that resembles the Kokoda Track in places!

I may have confused the issue somewhat, but just to clarify, there is NO ESF school on Lantau. They are building an "ESF International" school in DB that isn't due for completion until 2008/09 - the ESF in its title is misleading. It will (roughly) follow the ESF guidelines and curriculum but essentially it will be a privately run International school with comparable fees. Current waiting lists for the DBIS are around 18 months to 2 years for kindergaten and other early classes, so the ESF International school should provide a welcome shortening of entry times for primary school kids when it is completed. Hope this helps, PM me if you require more detailed info.

Cheers.:ok:

Fly747
25th Oct 2006, 12:14
There is also an international primary school at Tung Fuk. I looked at it and chatted to some parents with kids there, it seemed a good little school. Decided not to live South Lantau in the end

BlueEng
25th Oct 2006, 12:43
Thanks guys, hwta are the fees for the South Lantau school? Does it have a website?