PDA

View Full Version : Flight Operations - Jobs and Salaries

benwizz
22nd Oct 2006, 23:13
Hello, I hope to be a pilot, but am concerned about getting a Class 1 medical due to my colourvision and I was therefore wondering what ground based jobs are there in airlines? To be basic, I am thinking of the sorts of people who troubleshoot crewing problems or organise replacement aircraft, as opposed to check-in staff or baggage handlers.

Also, what would the approximate salaries be for these types of jobs, and how would you apply for such a job - would you have to work your way up from baggage handling for example, and would you need previous experience? Are there graduate entry schemes to fast track working your way up?

Finally, in terms of making a career out of these types of jobs, is there much scope for promotion (i.e. for managerial or supervisor positions), and what would be the top end of the salaries after several years?

Sorry there are loads of questions, any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Captain Awesome
24th Oct 2006, 08:33
Ops & crew controllers make varying amounts of money depending on the type of operator they work for. Salaries range from poor to excellent!

In my experience crew controllers/ops officers don't do too well where ops controllers tend to make respectable money for the most part.

Expect anywhere from £14000 for junior roles up to almost £30000 for an ops controller's position with a top drawer carrier, though the average is more likely to be £24-26000.

Scheduled and established charter carriers will tend to pay better where as short term wet leasing companies and the smaller cargo operators will not...