PDA

View Full Version : Mobile ppruning

Whirlygig
22nd Oct 2006, 23:08
Up until recently, I used to be able to Pprune with my mobile phone but, a month or so ago, I found I was getting the message "Memory full".

I can access other websites from my moby (nokia 6230). I have cleared the cache on my phone and I have spoken to my moile service provider who reckoned it was a issue with the site rather than my handset or the network.

Are there any settings on Pprune I need to change or have other people had the same difficulty. It seems to stem from the time of the last software upgrade but that might be a coincidence.

Cheers

Whirls

Paracab
25th Oct 2006, 00:31
Whirls,

I'm having the same problem with my 6280, 99% of sites are fine but when I head for prune I get a memory full message (can't recall the wording).

I would also be grateful for a solution.

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2006, 10:56
When I'm bored on the train and don't want to lug around a laptop?

Obviously I'm not the only one with this problem - can a mod explain?

Cheers

Whirls

IO540
25th Oct 2006, 13:43
It's not related to the recent problem with HTTP1.1 websites (pprune included) crashing IE6?

I know Pocket IE is different code, but probably not entirely different.

The error message is probably nonsense.

SyllogismCheck
25th Oct 2006, 15:57
I think it's probably to do with the size of the PPRuNe home page. Many non-smartphone mobiles are designed primarily for viewing WAP pages (which tend to be kept extremely small in terms of data) and, as a result, have a very limited amount of memory available for the web browser's use. Throw in the particularly lengthy home page of this site and, when the demand for memory from such a page exceeds that available on the phone, loading of the page errors out with an 'insufficient memory' type message.

As far as it being a recent issue goes, it may simply be that the home page was always right on the limit, but has recently grown by just a few kBs and is now beyond the limits of some phones' browsers.

It seems ridiculous perhaps to suggest that a page of only 90-odd kB could cause such an error, but there are some strange issues with mobiles and their browsers. Most are WAP left-overs which simply aren't up to proper web-browsing.

As for a solution, I'm afraid the best I can suggest is trying to wrestle a free upgrade from your service provider. Either to see if something from a different manufacturer solves the issue or to get a bit more browsing power in the form of a smartphone.

Crikey, Dave! Don't niche people too hastily and categorically now will you? By the way, you weren't the guy sitting next to me on the 8 hour train journey I took from Leuchars to Kings Cross on Sunday last who simply couldn't grasp the notion that perhaps, just perhaps, for only 5 or so of the 480 minutes I was stuck there he might cease inflicting himself on me, find something to entertain himself with, and thus allow me just a tiny piece of my own little world, were you? If so, please, get an iPod, phone, anything...

DaveO'Leary
25th Oct 2006, 16:01
Whirlygig...So sad
This is the problem with the 'on go' mobile society, people cut themselves off from the sphere of live one to one with other humans. London underground...iPods in ears...never make eye contact with others...I want my little own world...Leave me alone.....For fu** sake just say hi to people! Or is it too late now? Turn brain off, music music music....Pprune fix.....So sad.

DO'L

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2006, 16:37
Thanks for the explanation SC, I am due an upgrade so that might be the solution!

DO'L, let he who is without sin, cast the first the first stone. Sometimes, as a woman travelling alone, it is not a clever idea to strike up conversations with strangers; that is a sad indictment on society and no reflection on my friendliness. I'm a country girl and fairly used to being able to talk to people. Secondly, I used one example of when I might want to use my mobile phone for surfing; there are others.

Cheers

Whirls

airborne_artist
25th Oct 2006, 17:04
Whirls - if ever I'm on a train I'd love to strike up a conversation with you - I think we'd both have loads to talk about :ok:

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2006, 17:11
I take it I would recognise you by the lardy cake you'd be carrying!

Cheers

Whirls

Mr Lexx
26th Oct 2006, 07:45
Have you tried linking directly to the forums you want to visit? I think that the phone should accept the front page of each specific forum without a problem. for instance, if you wanted to go into JB, the link is :

http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

mdc
26th Oct 2006, 16:04
Try Skweezer (http://www.skweezer.net/) or alternatively download and use Opera Mini (http://mini.opera.com) on your Java handset.

Both are free and repurpose the desktop HTML content for easier viewing on a mobile device.