PDA

View Full Version : Becoming CC

Hazehkm
22nd Oct 2006, 17:00
Hi people, I'm new here and have been reading through loads of your threads and posts - you all do a fab job! :D

I wanted to ask a question particularly to anyone who previously had another career - and gave it all up to become cabin crew.

I'm insanely fed up with my career and have been trying to do the "be honest with myself" thing re. what I'd REALLY like to do, and I keep coming back to cabin crew. I love flying, I love travelling, I love a challenge and I love that it's the furthest thing removed from being stuck behind a desk 9-5.

For the record; I'm a paralegal - and the only time I've ever really enjoyed this job is when I worked in the USA for 4 years and worked in an office where we had crazy clients and had to deal with really difficult and challenging situations all the time because the clients would be coming in demanding all kinds and threatening us etc... :eek: and I was always defusing situations. Is this sounding familiar to anyone yet?! LOL! And as strange as it may sound, I actually got more satisfaction out of that job because I felt good about myself when I resolved a really difficult situation. I also loved it because it was more of a lifestyle than a job as it was the type of company where I could be called to sort out anything at anytime and 9-5 just didn't happen.

I'm also very frustrated because in the area of law I'm in now, I don't feel that what I do makes a difference to anyone. I like the thought that as CC, you DO make a difference - and you are making sure that all those people get to where they need to go safely and hopefully, smoothly.

I've read through loads of your posts trying to get a feel for the job you do from your perspective - even the ones about disgusting passengers thinking "okay, something has to put me off here" - but so far, as weird as it may sound, it hasn't put me off. Sure I've thought "EW! That's ikky" - but every job has elements you have to just deal with and move on.

So what I'm really asking is if anyone has given up one career - for a total change in job and lifestyle - in becoming cabin crew - what was it like? Are you pleased you did it? How do you think it would be viewed by the recruiters - a 32 year old going for a complete change in career? I'm also trying to get an idea of whether an airline such as BA (offering long haul) would be better or somewhere like EZJet - as from what I'm gathering generally - people seem to really like it there and it would also be closer to home.

I know no one can ultimately tell me what to do - it's my decision whether or not I just go for it and apply... but if anyone in a similar circumstance has any "pearls of wisdom" to share, then I'd really appreciate it. If you would prefer to PM that is also fine.

Thanks for reading....

Haze x

apaddyinuk
23rd Oct 2006, 00:42
As regards the chosing of an airline, you need to ask yourself a question...do you want to travel or do you want to get on a plane everyday just to be back in your own bed everynight???? If its the latter then go for a low cost airline. If you want to travel then try with the likes of BA, Virgin, Emirates, Qantas and BMI.

Also, are you aware that you would probably be taking a very substantial paycut to come and fly? Its not exactly as well paying as law!!!

Good luck with your decision. ;)

FAinbaires
23rd Oct 2006, 01:26
Hello!

Actually I am going through the exact same thing, I want a career change. I have a degree in Internationals relations and right now im doing a business major; it has nothing to do with flying! I know! But you only live your life once, and if you don't do it now, then when????

I am applying with international airlines only, if this comes up, I'll leave my current job and become CC, if not, I can keep on doing the same 9-5 job!

If you feel that flying in your call, then go for it, you have to take risks in ife to get what you want. "There's no greater obstacle than ourselves".

Dana

tonix2003
23rd Oct 2006, 08:34
I was in the very same situation. I am currently working for a courier company working in the higher end of sales. You can imagine that the wages arnt that bad including comission etc. Anyway i have handed in my notice to work for Virgin Atlantic. Why would i do that i hear you ask. Well first of all, why not?? I currently dont enjoy my job anyway but i am accepting an almost £10,000 wage drop to persue this carrier as crew. I need to change and am getting itchy feet at this job, also i am tied down to a desk all day. I want to be more active, meet more people and also try something new and fun. if you can afford the wage drop then go for it, seriously i cant wait to start.

girtbar
23rd Oct 2006, 11:34
I understand completely about the enjoying a good challenge and feeling like you actually did something.

I had always wanted to fly so i left my job working for Wetherspoons as a trainee manager.
I never knew till i left how much of an adrenalin junkie i was. With in a few months of flying my stress levels were almost zero, i gave up smoking, health improved and i felt like i had made a blissful move. I didnt miss the 14 hour days, little time off, the verbal abuse and tense situations.

Now its been over 3 years since i left my last job and i really miss being able to use my brain, to have to complete 7 different tasks all this minute, having people depend on me, being tied to deadlines, feeling stressed!!! :eek:

As much as i love flying it is a mundane relatively unskilled job. Unless you have plenty of medical or other emergency events to keep the adrenaline flowing your just that person pouring the tea and coffee ( thats a personal view so dont flame me for it!!) i feel that im not challenged in anyway compared to my last job and my brains turning to mush!!! Its so important to get a good hobby in this job.

I know i need a holiday :p

You do have your busy days but you need to be ready for the fact that most days your dealing with similar requests day in day out, delays, familes, the obnoxious passenger etc. And while this is a great relief from your previous job like any other career you will soon leave the honeymoon period and realise this is just another job.

You have to have interests outside of this job, otherwise i would have gone spare, i get my adrenalin through sports holidays and playing chicken on the runways on days off......;)

I wouldnt leave this job yet and dont intend to for a few more years yet. I still enjoy going to work each day, but i see it less and less like the "dream job" and more of an enjoyable past time that i get paid for! I would never return to my previous employer but i sure do miss being worked like a dog and feeling that rush. Just have to learn to get it else where i suppose.

flyblue
23rd Oct 2006, 12:53
girtbar,

As much as i love flying it is a mundane relatively unskilled job
The job of CC is what you make of it. And indeed I have met during my career people who were merely "coffee/tea pourers" (btw, we have also hot choc here ;) )
But there are a number of companies that offer opportunities for people wanting to become more neurone involved. There are jobs instructing, recruiting, planning, examining, supervising, you name it.
I am aware that a number of small airlines don't offer much under this aspect, but there are many who do.

Some years ago I left my the company I was working for at the time for exactly this reason. I felt I had reached the top of what the company could offer, which was not much in my opinion. So I moved to a bigger airline with a big network and much more opportunities in terms of adding to my professional competences. Since then I have become Tutor, Crew Referee for Handicapped Pax and American-French Interculturalism, Instructor, got my 4th language flag and am going through the process to become Cabin Chief. I also asked to become Crew correspondent for Huston last week (well, nobody wanted to do it and all the funny places were already taken :} ) ...Yes, I know, I love living dangerously :E
I am not at all trying to set myself as an example: what I mean is that if you like to shake your neurones a bit, you will find a way (which might mean having to change your employer!).

I was recently in SFO for the Airbus Training Symposium, and attended the Cabin Sessions. There were a number of people that were doing very interesting work for their companies. The Emergency Medical Instructor from Finnair who still volunteers working on ambulances to keep updated on handling medical emergencies and First Aid. The team from Condor who does research on sea survival. The guy who after working as a CC on Air Force One has now moved as Cabin and Customer Service Manager for a commercial airline, or the lady who has now moved to the NTSB, or the one who moved to Airbus in Cabin Crew Training.

Being CC can be a job full of opportunities, but you must be the one to make them happen and work for it, because they won't come knocking at your door by themselves! :ok:

Snowbabe
24th Oct 2006, 21:47
Hi

I am going through the same thing at the moment. I am an Legal Executive/paralegal in NZ and have been in law for the past 4 years but I am looking at changing to Cabin Crew.

I understand what you are going through. A change is always good and our qualification is one that is well recognised if things don't work out.

I am going to apply for cabin crew and will see what happens.

triple7_jm
24th Oct 2006, 21:51
Ladies ever thought about entering the flight deck :ok:

Head_in_clouds
24th Oct 2006, 21:55
Its my dream to enter the flight deck. Just can't afford it and no definate job at the end to pay off that massive debt:ugh: lol

girtbar
25th Oct 2006, 17:21
Who you calling a lady!!! :eek: ;)

air doris
26th Oct 2006, 05:48
I'd just like to put in my 2 cents worth. From being a Legal to becoming an FA is certainly a different change of pace and lifestyle, usually it works the other way round. I have worked with many crew who have used their time off away or home to study for a profession such as the one you have and then they leave to pursue that career. It's a great job for that as you have so much time on your hands and as someone else mentioned you do need to keep your mind occupied. I have had crew go on to study law, doctorites etc. As for the reverse I fear you might find this job a tad unrewarding, not that I don't hightly recommend it. Our career is exciting, every day is different, you have challenging moments. Not only do you train extensively on how to save passengers arses you have to stand and do the demo to a vast array of non interested pax, you then have to get used to flogging yourself in a designer suit that you just cant wait to get out of because it is probably stained with coffee, food, vomit or something that comes out of babies, best if you have a plumbers certificate because depending on where you fly the loo is sure to get blocked, child minding is essential, nursing helps for the fainters, being a mediator for pax to pax arguments, guardian for under age flyers, mechanic for oven doors that wont open, electrician for entertainment that doesn't work due to pax tripping a cord and 10 - 20 rows being without entertainment and bouncer for turning off the bar due to the large football group becoming drunk and abusive. Ah respite at the end, a luxury hotel you think..... well in some ports those days are gone too. Cost cutting has seen many airlines go from 5 star to 4 or 3 star depending on the destination/hotel. But oh, the money, it's becoming a situation of pretty much the later you start the less you will earn (obviously depending on airline and contract). Most airline crew bulk up their wages from very generous overseas living allowances which still to this day are very good, port depending, for example Japan is very good where as another port could be quite consiberably less. Now, why do I do this job you may ask, I love this job and never once have complained about it. As far as I am concerned, for me this is the best job in the world. For you, I don't know. There are many rewarding aspects of the job, I just highlighted the reality of it all. Yes we do see places we would never see, the travel is wonderful. We meet people we would never usually meet (including celebs) and no work day is the same. Depending on the airline there are many benefits. I love what I do and if you are willing, welcome aboard.

fly.high
26th Oct 2006, 13:38
hi .. i'm in the same situation as you (career crisis):) i joined an assessment day, i didn't make it .. and after all the touble, the travel costs .. at the middle of the assessment i was wondering what i was doing there?! the assessement was kinda crowded, started late, something i was not used to .. it made me also think why i was leaving my current job :ugh:.. and the reason why i wanted to become a cc .. and the main reason why i wanted to become a cc - because of the travel opportunity .. i guess my reason wasn't enough, that didn't give me the determination to last the day, it was hard for me to smile :rolleyes:.. and thought, i can still travel, not just everyday but maybe trice a year.. so my advice .. before making a career change, make sure it is what you wanted .. if your young, then you'll have plenty of opportunity .. try it for 3 years maybe, but if you are in your late 20s you have to think a couple of times .. it's a big risk ..my final advice .. follow what your heart desires ..:D:D good luck to all