PDA

View Full Version : SA CAA rewriting the FDP rules?

AfricanSkies
22nd Oct 2006, 12:09
I hear from someone involved that the CAA is going to change the FDP rules and judgement of operator roster schemes. Apparently the current rules were 'written just about on behalf of SAA' (I saw an old SAA logo on one of the original draft pages of the current FDP rules so this theory seems to hold a bit of water.)

The new rules will differentiate between schedule operators, for whom the current rules are aimed at, and charter/contract operators. I don't think the max flight hours are affected but they intend to change things for charter/contract ops in terms of readiness and less structured roster requirements. Shorter notice for work, tighter standby without standby hours not counting for as much as they do now - one idea is to change the current standby from 12 hours duty for 12 hours standby to eg. 8 hours duty for every 12 hours standby. This would allow for more standby time to be fitted into the maximum weekly duty time.

:sad:

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Oct 2006, 19:48
Jan Bakker, ex Comair also had a hand in writing the current FDP regs AFAIK.

Shrike200
22nd Oct 2006, 21:38
Well, whatever happens, you can rest assured that any pilot who works up to the exact legal limits will be a puddle of jelly by the end of two months (if not less). Yay safety! Or maybe that's just how it feels to me anyway....