PDA

View Full Version : Interview blues

FD Floozy 12
21st Oct 2006, 16:49
I attended an interview day today with my dream airline but didn't get past the group session. I am absolutely, totally devastated :(

Is anyone willing to tell me how they have coped in the same situation? I think I need a bit of help!

thanks x

ozskipper
21st Oct 2006, 18:19
Hey FD

That's a real bummer for you.

I guess the best piece of advice I can give you is not to take it too personally.

Just because you didn't get the job doesn't mean you can't do it or you wouldn't be good at it. It just means that on the day, you perhaps didn't demonstrate your skills to the recruiters as well as someone else did.

I usually take those experiences as a learning opportunity and have a think about what I would have done differently for next time. I find it really useful to jot down some notes about the interview, what I did, look at what I know I didn't do well and save them for next time.

But remember, it's not personal! It's just on the day, someone else just performed a little bit better and you just have to show them your best next time!

Who was the airline if I can ask?

NordicJetSet
21st Oct 2006, 18:46
I have been in the same situation, but unfortunately have no advice how to cope with it. Just trying to figure it out myself :} . But you have my sympathy.

I've been to couple interviews with no luck. I'm actually just considering whether to send couple more applications or not. I have started to think that maybe I should give up and face the fact that I'm not meant to be cabin crew. I've had enough disappointments :ugh:.

But FD, if this was your first interview, you should definately try again. You can find some great tips on this site. Best of luck :) .

HZ123
21st Oct 2006, 19:14
Six months submit it again (cv) and keep trying. Someone like you clearly wants the job and you will get it.

FD Floozy 12
21st Oct 2006, 19:49
Thanks for your support guys. I'm definitely doing my best to learn from the whole experience and look forward to trying again in the future.

Feeling a touch better now :O

xx

Ozskipper...please check your private messages

desert pink rose
22nd Oct 2006, 03:18
Just keep trying! It happens the same with me 10 years ago....I end up working for the same airline that rejected me for 6 years and I have been working for the last 1 year on VIP jets....So don't give up!!!

birdspeed
22nd Oct 2006, 20:09
JUST KEEP TRYING!
I got in with my #1 choice of airline on my third attempt. After my second knock-back I joined as check-in staff, which I really enjoyed and which was a big help when I went for cc a third time. I went on to have a fantastic & very successful career until I gave it all up for dribbling chins, Pampers & sleepless nights ( just like flying, really!).
The most important thing is not to lose heart & to keep going for it.
When I think of some of the new entrants that I've flown with over the years & of those people whom I know who have tried to get in & failed, I despair of the so-called selection procedure.
Don't take it personally because interviews & selection days are notoriously fickle. Cabin services need dedicated, committed people like you, so don't give up.
Go again & try to enjoy the day as much as possible. Be yourself, don't give them what you think they want to see but what you really are, & above all, relax. They want to know that you can handle the pressure.

I wish you the very best of luck, I know exactly what you're going through. :ok:

seadolphins77
23rd Oct 2006, 02:22
Hi ozskipper,
I just have no words...
By reading your responses in this forum and in the one you're speaking about QF, I'd say you seem to be so experienced and so wise. Do you work with QFUK? I'm a flight attendant in Italy and was supposed to start with QF last July, but had health problems:( , so I couldn't join the course...
I'm really glad to know that there is someone like you, so deep and at the same time so concrete.
Thank you very much for your replies.
Hope to meet you around, maybe in LHR...

pinklemonae
24th Oct 2006, 00:40
There are not many people who get their first choice of airline in their first attempt. I would keep at it..

Everyone I've talked to it took a few times to get into their desired position.

Good luck and keep trying.

Head_in_clouds
26th Oct 2006, 20:24
Hi just noticed this subject and god do I know how you feel. I went for an interview for Qantas and didn't get through and was GUTTED:{ . I don't want to work for any other airline and I will keep going until I get in there. Only problem is I now need to wait 12 months before reapplying. Thats ages. Any advice on what could pass the time, I don't know whether to apply to another airline for the time being!:ugh: I hate the way the selection goes as I believe you can only see whos good for the company by interviewing and team tasks but hay I'll fight my way through lol.

FLYING_HOSTIE
26th Oct 2006, 21:53
Hi there, I can totally sympathise with you, I had an interview back in May for an airline I really wanted to spend the rest of my career with, (and still do..) got through to the second stage and didnt get the job. :ugh: I was mortified...

So I took the job at my 2nd choice airline that offered me a position and now Im counting down the days till I can reapply. Worst thing is I had to wait a year!!! (Till April - 5 MONTHS 5 DAYS AND 10 HOURS!) I cant bare it. Its not nice being somewhere knowing your heart isnt in the company and its not where you want to be, but its something I have to do to ultimatley reach my goal.

You just got to pick yourself up and get back on that bike, and do what ever it takes until you get what you want
xxx

Head_in_clouds
26th Oct 2006, 22:09
Yes true, if its not the airline you really want it can get you down. You've not got long to wait before reapplying. Do you think they'd notice if you did it sooner. I can't understand why some are 6 months and others 12. I'll be crossing the days off my calender and then when I get there they'll of prob shut recruitment boo hoo

FD Floozy 12
27th Oct 2006, 18:58
Hey Head in clouds

It's really tough isn't it?! :{ I have heard, however, that there's a good chance Qantas UK will be recruiting again this time next year, so don't give up hope! My advice to you, if you're not crew already, is to definitely apply to other airlines in the meantime....all experience is good and useful, and I'd guess that almost everyone who flies, regardless of employer, really loves their job!

Let me know how you get on :)

FD xx

Head_in_clouds
27th Oct 2006, 20:28
Yeah I'm applying to Virgin as soon as the app. comes through. I used to be crew but gave it up and realised how much I missed it. So a word of warning 'its just as hard to get back into flying as it is to get your foot in the door in the first place:= '. So I'll see how it goes. As long as I'm flying, I'm happy.:)