PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To Summer In Jhb

CALCULATOR
21st Oct 2006, 05:26
Last night over JHB there were major storms.Whats interesting is EK763 (EMMIRITES) in there 777 diverted to Gabs.(That must have been fun,300 pax at Gabs at 18h45.,normaly they cant handle a ATR.
What interested me was JIA atc offered Emmirites 21L for landing this was clear of all storms but presented them with a 13knot tailwind landing.The crew elected to go for GABS.Not knowing these big aircraft what kind of tailwind component can they cope with?

Also one SAA 319 diverted to LANSERIA.

WELCOME TO SUMMER:confused:

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Oct 2006, 05:53
Not to mention DA of around 8500'.

beechbum
21st Oct 2006, 06:23
SRT......uh???......DA at 8500.....sorry missing something here!!!!

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Oct 2006, 07:14
Closer to 8000' on a second look.:\

Do you amuse your friends at parties by picking the fly**** out of the pepper?;)

beechbum
21st Oct 2006, 07:20
Initial approach altitude 8000'.......DA 5690 on 21L if memory serves correctly and 5710 on 03R.....so yep I'm afraid I still don't know what you're talking about....SRT....so still trying to pick those bits out of the pepper as you so "kindly" put it..!!!!!!

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Oct 2006, 07:46
Density Altitude.

beechbum
21st Oct 2006, 07:49
Then why didn't you say instead of being a smart arse!!!!!!:=
I'm picking the bits out the pepper again.....

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Oct 2006, 08:27
Bang your head on the floor until you're forgiven...:E :ok:

kingpost
21st Oct 2006, 10:14
Whats interesting is EK763 (EMMIRITES) in there 777 diverted to Gabs.(That must have been fun,300 pax at Gabs at 18h45.,normaly they cant handle a ATR.
Not knowing these big aircraft what kind of tailwind component can they cope with?

Interesting hey, I've heard that their ops dept is placing major pressure on them to carry flight planned fuel - that's probably why he elected to go to Gabs. Maybe, if there was a go around he'll be up the creak with no paddle. Tailwind component is 15kts, it may have been wet so the captain made the decision to push off - good for him.

Looking back at most major accidents in the past, they all have occured in wet conditions - Air France in Canada, SAA in Zambia to name a few - it's not worth it.

I would loved to have seen the refueler face in Gabs when the 777-300ER pulled in for a top up

Dessert Aviator
21st Oct 2006, 11:34
RFF 7 at Gabs if I am not mistaken, which is less than that required for the B777. That is why we use FADN as an alternate.

SpootNICK
21st Oct 2006, 11:52
Ah yes, the JNB Alternates are a bit a calculated risk by the major international carriers. FADN is the obvious choice, but puts a bit of dent in either your payload or the company's walet if used every day.

So, most make use of Gabs or Bloem...both legal alternates...however both of which are virtually incapable of accepting more than one wide body. Which is why I say its a calculated risk......as its not often they divert from JNB. (Two non-intersecting runways, Cat II ILS and pretty good controllers) So when the WXX does turn fowl....its luck of the draw to see who gets to use GABS or FABL.

Has anyone been to Kruger International lately.....are they capable of handeling a Wide Body? Its 10 min closer to JNB than Gabs.....

Dessert Aviator: I believe EK can use an RFF7 Airport as an alternate with dispensation from their Flight Ops Dept.

SN