PDA

View Full Version : MS Internet Explorer 7

mini
20th Oct 2006, 21:56
I downloaded this upgrade this evening and have to say I like it so far. I'm not a "power user" by any stretch of the imagination but I do like the new uncluttered look and the tab system.

Just wondering if anyone else has any opinions on it?

BLUE SKY THINKER
21st Oct 2006, 00:26
After downloading twenty-four hours ago I've had quite an extensive look at it over that period. An improvement over the previous version, if only for the 'tabbed' browsing. As a recent convert to Firefox Portable I have to say the closer IE7 is to Firefox the more I like - and probably prefer - the latter, at the risk of turning into one of the regular 'Firefox Fanatics'.

That said, sticking to IE7, having predominantly used IE6 previously, I've noticed one or two side effects and irritants...

i) Computer suddenly sluggish on various fronts until I realised this version seems to activate ctfmon in 'system32'; something I disabled some time ago in the approved fashion, via Microsoft Office. It still was, which was a bit of a puzzle until I realised it was now also activated via Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Text Services and Input Languages.

ii) Now unable to move Address Bar/Menu Bar/Command Bar around, or more to the point, all into one, as previous.

iii) A bit fussy about my 'Favorites' icons (sad I know!). It successfully imported both Favorites and icons from the previous version, but I note on selecting a web page sometimes hijacks one's preferred icon (even though the 'change icon' facility is still there via Properties) with the one that comes with the web page.

iv) RSS Feeds facility a bit disappointing when used in anything other than basic form, compared with a dedicated program like FeedReader (http://www.feedreader.com/). Podcasts, both standard and video, disappear off and have to be retrieved manually from 'My Docs'.

v) Program has crashed more than a few times.

Early days, I guess.

amanoffewwords
21st Oct 2006, 06:51
By aleniating Windows 2000 and 98 users they are excluding millions of people, including myself, from "enjoying" this miracle of modern software engineering.:rolleyes:

However I count my lucky stars that Firefox isn't so short-sighted...:ok:

fmgc
21st Oct 2006, 08:46
I ran with one of the later BETA versions of this an was very dissapointed, not only in how unstable it was but I thought that the whole thing was fussy.

I was very dissapointed that there was not facility to force it to open new links (where it would normally open a new browser instance) in a new Tab automatically like there is in Firefox, wuld seem to miss the point in Tabbed browsing.

terrain safe
21st Oct 2006, 10:38
I've downloaded it, keeps crashing, so sorted that out, but it is very slow compared to firefox. Will not be using it unless I have to.

ZH875
21st Oct 2006, 11:13
Downloaded, tried, disliked, uninstalled.

Too slow and fussy.

oh, and too slow.

Not forgetting the sluggishness of IE7.

Firefox is back in use.

Keef
21st Oct 2006, 16:42
There is a WARNING on another forum that I belong to, about some strange behaviour by IE7 -

IE7 has been launched by Microsoft and already people are finding that thousands of websites do not work in the new browser.

We do not know whether the website or the Forums will work in IE7 and it is our strong recommendation not to download it until more is known.

Worryingly, Microsoft are planning to include it in Automatic Updates sometime in November. This may well cause a Millennium Bug like meltdown, as people discover web-sites and web-based programs that do not work. Our advice is to reject the automatic update when it is offered.

I don't know the facts of the above, but it's from a usually very reliable source. I avoid IE like the plague after a very nasty virus infection a few years ago. Firefox works fine on 99.9% of websites: those that say "only MSIE can be used on our website" just don't get my business.

amanoffewwords
25th Oct 2006, 15:41
Downloaded Firefox 2 this morning and so far....it looks very very good

Some of my preferred extensions haven't caught up yet but it does load faster than version 1.5 (on a Windows 2000 system) and it has some nice add-ons such as a built-in spell checker - useful when pisting, ahem postng ..sorry posting in a hurry (those misspelt words are underlined in red in FF). The upgrade was a breeze and super-quick, all bookmarks etc are in place.

Well done FF :D

BLUE SKY THINKER
25th Oct 2006, 16:56
I have to confess that after years of listening to people drone on about Firefox here, I am a complete convert (http://www.fondbank.de/common/images/firefox_ie_desktop/firefox_ie_desktop_1600x1200.jpg) in the short space of time between the release of Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2.0, after an initial taster with FirefoxPortable.

Fascinated by the Extensions (particularly useful, the IE tab giving you the option to view the few non Firefox compatible web pages within Firefox).

frostbite
25th Oct 2006, 17:03
There is also a new version of Firetune which is compatible with FF2.

BLUE SKY THINKER
26th Oct 2006, 11:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6086798.stm

BOAC
4th Nov 2006, 07:13
... already people are finding that thousands of websites do not work in the new browser.

We do not know whether the website or the Forums will work in IE7 and it is our strong recommendation not to download it until more is known.

Worryingly, Microsoft are planning to include it in Automatic Updates sometime in November. ...............Our advice is to reject the automatic update when it is offered.

Well - it has happened to me - it keeps on popping up on 'auotupdate' and I keep cancelling it.:)

Do we have any update on sites not working with it?

gas path
4th Nov 2006, 10:59
Downloaded it here, no problems with any of the sites I visit, and also, not found the reported problems with 'myboeingfleet' so I'm reasonably happy. However WTF do I need 'tabbed' browsing for, so if I could unload that bit....

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Nov 2006, 11:21
Well - it has happened to me - it keeps on popping up on 'auotupdate' and I keep cancelling it.:)

Do we have any update on sites not working with it?
It shouldn't "keep poppping up". If you uncheck the check box it should shut up about it.

BOAC
4th Nov 2006, 11:30
It shouldn't "keep poppping up". If you uncheck the check box it should shut up about it. - no siree! Not on mine:mad: EDIT: Just found the 'don't notify me again button - doh!

Any news on sites?

BEagle
4th Nov 2006, 12:29
Well, I have IE7 on the back up computer and am keeping IE6 on the primary....

Currently, I still prefer IE6. WTF is 'tabbed browsing' - it's geek-speak to me and I have absolutely no idea whether I want it or need it.

What is 'live search', what are 'feeds'.....

It was all once so simple.

EDIT: Finally had enough of the damn thing corrupting some of my regular websites, so it's back to IE6 for me! I don't recall having had so many problems when I upgraded from IE4 to IE5 some years ago....

planepsycho
4th Nov 2006, 17:20
Like an idiot I downloaded IE7, primarily to check out the differences between it and Firefox. All was well until I tried to scan a picture using my HP Director, it wouldn't work no matter what I tried. Fortunately, I found a computer forum where a few people were having the same problem. They suggested uninstalling IE7 which I did. My scanner worked immediately, and I'm sticking with Mozilla from now on.:ok:

BombayDuck
5th Nov 2006, 13:17
WTF is 'tabbed browsing' - it's geek-speak to me and I have absolutely no idea whether I want it or need it.

If you've ever thought your taskbar was too cluttered with windows from your browser open on different sites, yes you do need it. Each new "tab" allows you to view a website in the same browser window, instead of a new window.

You've seen tabs before - when you try to change, say, your display settings by Right click on Desktop -> Properties, you will get Tabs that say "Themes", "Desktop", "Screen Saver", "Appearance" and "Settings" apart from a few others. Think of this being applied to browsing the internet. A cute little feature that seems to be a lot in demand!

I switched to FF though not for the Tabs, but because GMail wouldn't work too well on IE6. And the fact that IE is (was?) known to bea security pain in the butt, I didn't want my credit card details lost....

Surprisingly, my mom switched effortlessly too, she says websites load faster on FF, and games at Yahoo load properly too :) :O

Farrell
5th Nov 2006, 15:55
Hello mate!

Switched to IE7 last week. Gave me all sorts of problems.

Firefox 2 takes a bit of getting used to but I am much happier with it.

ZFT
8th Nov 2006, 00:07
Is anyone else experiencing problems with cookies with IE7?

I just can’t seem to get IE7 to remember any logins/passwords.

Tarq57
8th Nov 2006, 10:12
Seems it's best to download it not from the windows or microsoft update site, but to use the downloadable installer from here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

I have had problems logging in, or rather staying logged in, on some sites, PPrune included. Plan to clear out all cookies soon and start again from scratch.
Otherwise, it's all working well, and more likeable than IE6, my version of which kept crashing, anyway.

Keef
8th Nov 2006, 11:14
I installed it (as backup for those few crummy sites that won't work with Firefox). It has two infuriating habits - it won't remember IDs and passwords (or I haven't found the switch to turn that on yet), and it logs me out again if I leave it for a while.

Not a problem - I just use Firefox all the time instead.

Arkroyal
13th Nov 2006, 09:28
Aaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhhh!

Gates does it again.

Thank goodness I have Roboform, even though IE7 won't accept passcodes direct from it. I have to manually type them in, even though Roboform has filled the forms in correctly!

Rubbish, how do I get back to IE6?

And another thing, it's so slow it's like going back to dial up.

Got rid, back to IE6. Just go to control panel, add or remove programs. remove IE7, restart and back to good old IE6

d71146
14th Nov 2006, 00:37
Like an idiot I downloaded IE7, primarily to check out the differences between it and Firefox. All was well until I tried to scan a picture using my HP Director, it wouldn't work no matter what I tried. Fortunately, I found a computer forum where a few people were having the same problem. They suggested uninstalling IE7 which I did. My scanner worked immediately, and I'm sticking with Mozilla from now on.:ok:

I have installed IE7 on my newlaptop internet fine until I installed some updates & IE7 now I keep losing the internet connection and have to reboot to get it back again has anyone had this particular problem ?

BEagle
24th Nov 2006, 19:02
Dear Bill Gates,

Will you bloody STOP sending out IE7 'Update' crap every week!

Tried it, didn't like it, don't want it.

Love,

BEagle

fmgc
24th Nov 2006, 19:24
Whilst I am one of the first to have a go about MS, I must admit that I am not having any trouble with it.

I am not having any of the problems that you guys are talking about and have not come across any web sites that do not work with it.

GOALPOST1000
25th Nov 2006, 13:45
I have tried to down load this update several times,each resulting in a failure which took ages to arrive at.
Any ideas,will be grateful for any ideas

Tarq57
25th Nov 2006, 22:50
Goalpost1000
I've read many reports on forums about failed/partially failed installations when downloaded through windows or microsoft update. I downloaded it via the link recommended to me (posted above) to a folder, and installed from there. No problems, except for staying logged on at websites, which is an u=issue between IE7 and Ccleaner.

JamesT73J
26th Nov 2006, 11:30
A step in the right direction, and certainly an improvement over IE6. I've read the complaints about performance - I have to say I'm satisfied with the speed - no different from Firefox in my opinion.

There are some difficulties with certain sites - my housemate mentioned that myspace crashes 7.0 repeatedly, the (most recent) flash plugin apparently causing the problem.

I've read that the intention isn't to beat Firefox or Opera, but rather to give new Vista users less of an excuse to try them.

747-436
27th Nov 2006, 19:16
I downloaded IE7 initially when it was in Beta Format and did not like it at all so went back to IE6.

I am now using the full version of it and much prefer it.I have tabbed browsing switched off at the moment, might get around to using it but I didn't like it in the Beta version so haven't switched it on yet.

I also have the latest Firefox which is good. I always like to have 2 browsers as sometimes things don't quite loadr properly in IE7, earlier I was buying something on line and with IE I couldn't get past the payment screen as it kept coming up with errors. I tried it again in Firefox and it worked perfectly, not quite sure what the problem is with IE though.

frostbite
27th Nov 2006, 19:56
Although a long-term fan of Firefox, I also use Opera quite frequently.

Worth a look.

Brat
28th Nov 2006, 20:51
Tried it found it slow and problems with some sites so went back. Was thinking of loading Firefox as it sounds to be good however still trying to create some space to put new programs in.