PDA

View Full Version : Parking crisis at Jhb Airport

4HolerPoler
20th Oct 2006, 09:44
Only 23 parking bays were available from a total of 7 650 at 14:46 on Thursday at Johannesburg International Airport's six leading parkades or open parking areas. The South African Airports Company Acsa said it had been caught off guard by the fast-growing number of passengers at the airport, which becomes OR Tambo Airport on October 27. An Acsa manager, Kesavan Naicker, said the company was concerned that its existing parking facilities were occupied 85% on average. An airport spokesperson, Solomon Makgale, said the airport's multi-storey parkade of 4 650 parking bays were 110% occupied during peak time. :confused: Beauts Solly - 110% :eek:

This meant as many as 5 115 vehicles were parked in virtually any open space and even in the middle of the road and on pavements. Naicker said: "What really caught us unawares the past two years was the fast-growing market in low cost air services and a different ratio between the number of passengers and vehicles." It seems that increasingly more people leave their vehicles at the airport when they go on travel. Another 700 under-cover bays are being occupied due to construction work to enlarge the multi-storey parkade, which would add 5 000 additional bays at the end of 2008, Naicker said. About 600 would already be available by April 2007 and 1 000 more by December. The extent of the problem became clear when Beeld, sister publication of Fin24, sent an SMS on Thursday at 14:46 with the word "parking" to Acsa's 35007 service - only 0.3% (23 out of 7 650) of the existing parking bays were available, and none in the parkade. An additional 600 parking bays (shade 3) had been made available at the airport's cargo section at a lower tariff. It used to be Acsa's staff parking. An additional 1 400 bays were made available opposite Emperor's Palace at R10 a day. A taxi service would be available free of charge between the terminal buildings and the parking area.

Deskjocky
20th Oct 2006, 10:23
Not a high priority for them as all of these cars belong to pax travelling domestically, as we all know all the shopping mall developers (ACSA) are interested in is international that’s were they can charge the high rents in their international shopping mall:yuk:

CALCULATOR
22nd Oct 2006, 05:24
Last Thursday was the worst ive sen JIA.Working at the airport you get used to the crunch but Thursday was BAD.I tried to catch a 10.40 to Durbs and after driving the muli story parkade up and down I gave up.Trust me if this boy cant find a parking then there ant one anywhere.

Acsa really need to jack up and smell the roses, 2010 HA HA HA .:*

Q4NVS
22nd Dec 2006, 14:54
From News24

OR Tambo: End to cheap parking
22/12/2006 16:43 - (SA)

Johannesburg - A parking facility near Johannesburg's OR Tambo international airport that caters for motorists who want to park their cars when they go on holiday has been closed until January next year.

"The facility is popular and cheaper, but it has been so busy it had to be temporarily closed," said Airports Company of South Africa spokesperson Solomon Makgale.

He said the facility was closed this week and some motorists had to be turned away as there was no longer any space for their cars.

The facility is 10 minutes' drive from the airport and motorists park their cars at the facility for R10 a day.

On average people park their cars there for three weeks.

And the Puppet Show continues...:\ :mad: :\

PAXboy
23rd Dec 2006, 01:26
Well ... since ACSA chose to follow the BAA plc route of Shopping before Flying, then they will produce the same kind of problems that BAA produced. A great shame to see one of the most basic functions fail. An airport manager knows how many new flights are starting up and where they are going. They know that weekend and short trips are becoming more popular, therefore more onsite parking will be needed = order some!!

nugpot
23rd Dec 2006, 18:12
Super South was supposed to be the new staff parking area. Then somebody at ACSA had the effing brilliant idea to let the pax park there, resulting in no staff parking and full buses all the time.

My FO took an hour to find parking today. Well done ACSA. You have succeeded in the impossible - to stuff aircrew around even more. ORTIA must now be the least pilot friendly airport on the planet.

unstable load
23rd Dec 2006, 20:20
Come, come!
Since when was any airport pilot friendly in SA? ACSA are out to make a buck and with the crews and staff who HAVE to be there they have a captive audience. We are the first to get targetted as the train pulls out the station en-route to the gravy depot.:ugh:

Maybe I am being negative, but I can't help wondering exactly how the :mad: we are going to even come close to the openeing ceremony of 2010 being a success. :{ :ouch: :=
Once all the footballistas arrive then where are all the Putco/Golden Arrow busses going to park to cart them all away seeing as there is sod-all in the likes of a public transport system anywhere in SA?

Stand by to be the laughing stock of the world, guys.:{ :rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Dec 2006, 06:04
Putco/Golden Arrow must be doing well. Opened a subsidiary in Australia, have they?:}

Q4NVS
24th Dec 2006, 07:54
My FO took an hour to find parking today. Well done ACSA.

And when the "peak" season is over, it will be business as usual ACSA - Problem solved (without any intervention by ACSA)... I don't think so! :ugh:

Maths 101 (or 01 for ACSA)

Total Bays - Staff Parking = Public Parking

Bus Ride + Passenger and their "Freight" Loading (Golf Clubs or Kayaks ) = Flight Crew Delay

Maybe we should ask for increased FDP plus Stress Relieving exercises before each Sign-on/Flight. :E

south coast
24th Dec 2006, 11:12
**quote**
Stand by to be the laughing stock of the world, guys.

Hey, that is reserved for the England football team, dont deprive us of that honour!

Springbok747
24th Dec 2006, 13:02
Welcome to South Africa (ACSA) where name changes are more important than parking bays!:yuk:

unstable load
24th Dec 2006, 21:04
THE MEETINGS TO DISCUSS THE NAME CHANGES WILL BE HELD AT THE AIRPORT. If you can't produce a parking ticket you can't make any input!

And we thought they were thick??:p