PDA

View Full Version : Licences - QSP(H) to PPL(A)

GipsyMagpie
19th Oct 2006, 14:09
I am a QSP(H) and I am trying to get a PPL(A). Has anyone any experience with using their pre-Nov 2000 Bulldog hours to count towards the hours required. I have come against a bit of sticking point with my civvie instructor and I would like to here of other experience.

airborne_artist
19th Oct 2006, 14:11
Download LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1591) and it's all there.

GipsyMagpie
19th Oct 2006, 14:16
Thanks BUT...

LASORS (I have paper version) has what I believe is a typo. Basically it says I have to go to an approved facility of FTO to get the CFI to decide a programme of flying. That means somewhere like Cabair. ie expensive per hour. However there are Service flying clubs ie CHEAP. but they are approved facilities. So what I reckon LASORS should say is...

approved facility or FTO

Does anyone agree? It makes huge difference to me in terms of cost!:8

airborne_artist
19th Oct 2006, 14:34
This thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246066) discusses the reqs. BEagle has posted loads of advice over the years. Suggest you do an advanced search for BEagle's posts and look at all his posts on the subject.

BEagle
19th Oct 2006, 14:52
As a current UK QSP(H) with previous SEP aeroplane experience, you will be required to meet the following flying training/experience requirements:

25 hours dual Instruction on aeroplanes

10 hours supervised solo flight time on aeroplanes, which must include 5 hours solo cross-country flight time.

All your previous SEP time on the Bulldog will count towards these requirements and you are also credited the 150 nm solo Qualifying Cross Country flight.

In addition, as a QSP(H) you will also be required to pass the complete JAR-FCL PPL(A) Skill Test and pass the following JAR-FCL PPL(A) Theoretical Knowledge Examinations:

Air Law & Operational Procedures

Human Performance*

Communications (PPL)*

Aircraft (General) and Principles of Flight

Flight Performance and Planning

*If you have a minimum of 2000 hours flying experience on military aircraft, including at least 1500 hours as 1st pilot of helicopters (can incl. max. 500 hours under supervision, as P2 or in a flight simulator), you will also be exempt the Human Performance and Communications (PPL) exams.

As regards flight time, that will largely depend upon whether you will need to top up your solo FW X Q-C time and also how much you remember from previous FW flying training. I would doubt whether you would need more than 10 hours (including the PPL Skill Test which is 2.5 - 3 hours in length) - this does NOT have to be at a FTO - any Registered Facility (such as a RAF FCA Club) will be fine.

Don't forget that you will need a JAA Class 2 medical certificate before you may fly solo!

Unfortunately all the changes I secured with the CAA over this were not properly incorporated into LASORS 2006 - the CAA forgot to tell the editor as was confirmed to me earlier this year.

If your civil FI is still in any doubt, ask him to contact the CAA Head of Licensing if he doesn't believe me. Who, incidentally, is an ex-RAF RW pilot.