PDA

View Full Version : Canaries Routing

digitrac
19th Oct 2006, 13:56
Hi,

I've noticed on the last couple of times I've flown down to the Canaries the routing from MAN goes out to DUB and down to Cork then straight down to the Canaries rather than tracking down the welsh border and out via BHD, Bay of Biscay, Faro etc.. Just wondering why this has changed and I am guessing it may be traffic density on the old route has now reached capacity at certain times?

Cheers,

Dave

BOAC
19th Oct 2006, 15:30
No doubt routing 'Oceanic' on an airway called T9. This is used when French airspace is to be avoided, for industrial action, over-flight issues or just excess traffic. From somewhere like Manchester or further north there is not much extra 'mileage' going that way.

almost professional
19th Oct 2006, 16:15
Was it with Airtours-they seem to have decided on this routing over the last 12 months, certainly from NEMA, unlike all our other operators who still take a more southerly route to start with

digitrac
19th Oct 2006, 17:28
Was it with Airtours

It was Thomas Cook on both occassions

763 jock
20th Oct 2006, 13:24
Ops look at the route options for the day. There is a big saving in ATC route charges by going via T9 or T16. If the extra flight time (read fuel cost) is not excessive then it is worth going on the longer route. I recall someone quoting a figure of about $1000 dollar saving per sector on the overflight charges if using T16. You avoid France, Spain, Portugal and Casablanca if using T16.