PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream 200

Bizzzjet
19th Oct 2006, 07:56
My boss wants to buy a Glufstream 200. Anybody has expierence with this aircraft. Is it good to fly, what kind of problems are there to expect? We will be based in Europe, is there a simulator in europe?
Does it fly well? Seen it has an impressive range and big cabin, is it comfortable for the passengers? Any information is welcome.

gulfstreamflyer2000
19th Oct 2006, 10:44
Challenger 300 is a better aeroplane for the same sort of money. G200 is still built in Israel aswell with all the potential problems that could have.....

VH-Cheer Up
19th Oct 2006, 11:50
I've done a couple of short sectors in one in the USA back in 1999 when it was still called the Galaxy. It's an exceptionally comfortable aircraft and built to be very easy to fly.

Takeoff, climb, cruise, descend all detented and FADEC controlled. It had everything that opens and shuts. And the guy flying it looked like a boy scout, under thirty, and had been all over North and South America in it with no issues whatsoever.

Not sure how it compares price-wise these days but back then it was good value - about the same as a Citation X but with a stand-up cabin for a six-footer.

Not quite as fast as a CX but fast enough. Fast fuelling and turn round too. I was interested in it as a corporate shuttle but somehow the 18-seat shuttle version never quite saw the light of day.

The one I flew in was configured for eight pax in club config and had unbelievably comfortable seats.

The only mildly odd thing the competitors would all find to fault with it was that it had boots. When I questioned the guys at Galaxy Aerospace they claimed the wing profile was ideal for boots, the boots were very thin and therefore not particularly drag-inducing, and used way less power than hot leading edges.

Not sure why built in Israel is a problem. The quality fit and finish was very very good and Gulfstream standing behind the product should give you confidence re spares, etc.

Hope that helps.

VH-CU

FlyMD
20th Oct 2006, 07:56
The Galaxy / G200 is a nice aircraft to fly... when it flies. I have operated serial number 7 for a bit over a year and it was plagued with severe reliability issues, mostly but not exclusively from sloppy wiring. A visit to the factory in Israel will show you why: brilliant design (fuel system for example), sloppy execution.

Now, Gulfstream have been working on this issue for a while, and i truly think that any serial number above 75 is potentially a good deal. Moreover, having been plagued with all those problems, Gulfstream offers a very comprehensive 3 year guarantee on the new aircraft. Also, i think they still run an "AOG" Gulftream 100 in the continental USA, that thing being ready to take-off to wherever you are stranded with the right part within a couple hours..

So, if you buy a new one, and operate it in the USA, then I would go for it. Otherwise, there might be better choices out there...

One last thing: the G200 shares it's wing (including de-icing boots!!) with the G100, making for a high wing-load. This is very comfortable in turbulent air, however it makes for high approach speeds (up to 155 knots). So altough the brakes and gear are brilliant, forget operating anywhere with less than 4500 ft of runway, and count about 7000 ft roughly for full fuel load ops...

Hope this helps,

fMD

clearedfirstexit
2nd Nov 2006, 08:37
This is not a Gulfstream remember. Its still the IAI Galaxy with new name.

That said its a suspect programme - talk of G250 to replace the 200. Why? Because the 200 is only a very modest seller - 130plus 'on line' in 9 years is hardly a huge success. Resale will be an issue. If your boss has made sound investments to get where he has this is not going to be one of them.

Isreal - is revelent when you come to selling. Some markets wont even allow you in so the secondary market is limited. Try calling Tel Aviv from Tehran.....

Heavy discounts on new 200s by Gulfstream is undermining pre-owned. Prices as low as US$17.5m possible 'in good times' for new G200 so be warned when the market goes bad, which it will, the depreciation will dive as you will be against Gulfstream trying to sell new.

Better risk profile is the Challenger 300.

Hope this helps.

merlinxx
2nd Nov 2006, 11:00
Some states still consider this to be an IAI machine as is assembled there!. Try to overfly Sudan with one, being honest and giving the correct acft designator.

zbs327
2nd Nov 2006, 14:28
Dear Bizzzjet,

Been on the Galaxy/G200 for almost 4 years and 1700hrs. It is a great "passenger" airplane.

As for flying. Performs pretty well for the wing it has. Doesn't have the greatest flying demeanor. Needs more rudder, okay a lot more rudder. I know a few operators that operate out of 5000ft strips. On a std day out of a sea lvl airport you can take off at about 32,000lbs. Considering a bow around 20,700lbs that is good for almost 4hrs fuel plus and reserve. Landing at 24000lbs ref of 125kts, Factored landing dist 4500ft, unfac 2701ft. Not bad?! Taking off at that weight you could climb to 380 at ISA.

As for Sims. There are only 2 of them. Both at FSI at DFW. They are installing one at FSI in CMH, mainly for Netjets use.

If you have more questions, Let me know.

ZBS

Bizzzjet
28th Nov 2006, 11:12
Ok, thanks for the info. After all it will be a Falcon 50ex, and later on trade it for a new Falcon 2000DX. But thanks for the info anyway. Glad we did not go for the G200, it has a larger cabin, but for our operation the Falcon 50 is much more suited.