PDA

View Full Version : Concorde (Merged)

ORAC
19th Oct 2006, 05:14
The Times October 19, 2006 - Who's keeping Britain's favourite aircraft ticking over? The French.
By Ben Webster

BA’s treatment of the aircraft is an act of vandalism, says its former chief pilot

THE dream of returning Concorde to the skies is being kept alive by a dedicated band of French aviation engineers who are quietly keeping one of the supersonic aircraft in a near-airworthy condition. However, British enthusiasts may have to swallow their pride because the aircraft in question carries Air France livery and would take off from an airport in Paris.

British Airways has refused to co-operate with Concorde fans who want to bring an aircraft out of retirement for fly-pasts on special occasions, such as the opening of the 2012 Olympics. BA ordered all the hydraulic pipes to be drained and electrical systems disabled on its seven Concordes, a decision that Jock Lowe, the airline’s former chief Concorde pilot and fleet manager, described as an act of vandalism. The systems have not been switched on for almost three years, making any attempt to get a BA Concorde airborne again very difficult and extremely expensive.

But a group of Air France Concorde engineers is being allowed daily access to Sierra Delta, one the youngest of the 19 surviving aircraft. It is on display at the Air and Space Museum at Le Bourget airport in Paris. The engineers carry out basic checks and run the systems, including the hydraulics and electrics, at least three times a week. They also lower and raise the famous pointed nose. Gérard Feldzer, the museum director, said that he supported the group’s plan to restart Sierra Delta’s engines and taxi it around the airport. Ultimately, the group is determined to see it take to the skies once again.

Pascal Touzeau, the president of the Maintenance Concorde association, who spent 13 years as a ground engineer working on Air France Concordes, said: “We are keeping Concorde alive and ready for the time when funding is found to let it fly again. We have no problem finding volunteers with the necessary expertise because they all love this plane. People don’t feel the same passion about modern aircraft.” Mr Touzeau, who watched the Concorde crash in Paris in 2000 only minutes after he had waved the pilots off, said that he was surprised by BA’s attitude. “We always felt the British loved Concorde more than the French so we cannot understand why nothing is being done with the BA Concordes.” Members of the group will travel to the Toulouse headquarters of Airbus next week to discuss gaining access to spare parts.

The association estimates that it would cost £3 million to prepare the aircraft for flight. This compares with the £15 million that Mr Lowe calculates would be needed to get a BA Concorde off the ground. Mr Lowe said: “It was an act of vandalism by BA to drain off all the fluids. It will be embarrassing for Britain if only a French Concorde flies again because it was always a joint project between the two countries.” Mr Lowe dismissed BA’s claim that it would be impossible to get a manufacturer’s safety certificate, which would be required by the Civil Aviation Authority. “That’s nonsense. If Airbus wasn’t willing to take it on, a special company could be formed to hold the certificate. They just need access to the manufacturer’s designs.”

A BA spokeswoman said that the systems had been decommissioned for safety reasons. Asked whether another organisation could seek approval to fly a BA Concorde, she said: “It’s not debatable because we own them.”

Steve Falder, spokesman for the Save Concorde Group, which is campaigning to return a BA Concorde to flight, said: “We would also have plenty of well-qualified volunteers if only BA would give them the chance. It is disgraceful that these aircraft, an important part of Britain’s industrial heritage, are being allowed slowly to deteriorate.”

It's Captain Webster on a tour of the Sierra Delta

A GROUP of French schoolchildren looked on enviously as I was ushered through the glass door that separates the cockpit from the public area on board Sierra Delta.

Alexandra Jolivet, Air France’s only female Concorde engineer, flicked a switch and the museum piece sprang to life. Needles swayed on numerous dials, air conditioning roared and the gloomy interior was suddenly illuminated by hundreds of miniature green, orange and red lights. Alexandra guided my hand to the lever that controls the nose. Two notches down tilted it to the landing position, which would allow the pilot to see the runway. In my case, it revealed Japanese tourists taking photos.

Before leaving the cockpit, Captain Webster could not resist sliding back a side window marked “Do not open in flight” and waving to the visitors below. At the rear of the cockpit, I came across a panel covered in graffiti written by crew on some of the last flights in 2003. A pilot had written: “Concorde est toujours vivant, il n’est qu’en sommeil.” (Concorde lives on, it is only sleeping).......

noflybywire
19th Oct 2006, 07:59
Thats why I have my own personal boycott of everything and anything BA I can't stand em!!!. TBH if the choice was flying with them or walking I'd be walking,

dope05
19th Oct 2006, 11:19
Article in the "Times" today suggests that the French are maintaining a Concorde( Sierra Delta) with a desire to get it back to the sky---- Engine Runs, systems check et cetera

BA Hang your head in shame

Bernoulli
19th Oct 2006, 11:24
Meanwhile... Manchester Airport continues to let it's Concorde rot. The very least they must do there is to build a hangar around it. The present situation is a disgrace:(

WindSheer
19th Oct 2006, 11:27
...."....one small step back for man.......

dope05
19th Oct 2006, 11:31
Dont know how true it is but I've read that NASA engineers said that getting a man to the moon was much easier that designing an aircraft capable of mach 2+ over thousands of miles. BA dumped it when it became unprofitable (In the short term) even though they had been given them for free !!!

Disgracefull

and the french are going to rub our faces in it !!!!!! wont be long before we see an Air France Concorde over our sky

Mercenary Pilot
19th Oct 2006, 11:33
Bernoulli

Is Alpha Charlie getting in a state? Last time I popped up to the viewing park to catch up with a mate, he told me it was being well maintained (with a view to being flown again one day) and it looked clean and well groomed to me (it was quite a while ago though). How sad.

I'm surprised Air France are planning on flying one again...seeing as it was them who basically caused its demise.

dope05
19th Oct 2006, 11:38
here is the link

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2410914.html

manintheback
19th Oct 2006, 11:38
I posted last year in respect of the French Olympic bid that had they won, one of the Concordes would have been kept airworthy for use at the ceremonies. At that time it was alleged that they could get it back in the air within 7 days.

dope05
19th Oct 2006, 11:42
Well done to the French---- Completely stuffed us on this one--------- and as for BA-------disgrace----- World's Favourite Airline ---- NOT

zed3
19th Oct 2006, 11:51
I thought the agreement was that the airworthyness certificate was withdrawn by both sides so that Concorde couldn't be flown again . France perfide ..... Is it true that BA have made the a/c unflyable by cutting through the spars ? Bloody froggies . So much for European union !

Cricket23
19th Oct 2006, 11:59
As I work for company which is part French I have found that they usually have their own way of doing things and getting round regularities. Frustrating at times, but to be honest, if it gets Concorde back in the air - FANTASTIC!:D

I have never really understood why it was dropped like a hot potato and why BA treat their Concorde's in such a disgraceful manner.

C23

hobie
19th Oct 2006, 12:01
Meanwhile... Manchester Airport continues to let it's Concorde rot. The very least they must do there is to build a hangar around it. The present situation is a disgrace:(

Whatever about the chances of getting one back in the air, there is no excuse for letting one rot on the ground ..... :(

http://tinypic.com/in4lrs.jpg

Alpha fox ....... doing touch and go's ..... everyone turned out to watch ....

dope05
19th Oct 2006, 12:04
nice pic hobie !!

PAXboy
19th Oct 2006, 12:06
When the French pulled the plug on the aircraft and BA did their darndest to keep them flying - everyone in PPRuNe castigated the French. Now you are praising them? Huh? :confused:

I visited G-BOAC on 23rd September for a technical tour. It was a very fine day and we spent a great deal of time under and around her, I could see no weather damage. Not an expert but nothing obvious. Of course it woul dbe best for her to be under cover but I thought they were doing all that they could.

Strepsils
19th Oct 2006, 12:17
Why let the facts get in the way of a good rant?:hmm:

Airbus stated they will not support Concorde, they also would not release the tools and moulds required to allow someone else to support it.

There was b%gger all BA could do about it.

If Airbus decide to keep one going that's their call, they're the only people with spare parts or the capability to produce spare parts.

BEagle
19th Oct 2006, 12:20
ba's appalling vandalism and dog-in-the-manger attitude is one reason why I will never, ever fly with them.

The other being the 'Dirty Tricks' era - which is clearly not dead as the recent price-fixing scandal revealed.

I have known for some time that the Le Bourget aircraft is being maintained in as near to airworthy condition as can be achieved. I was told that the President had decreed that it would be so.

For all her numerous faults, I'm convinced that Mad old Maggie wouldn't have allowed Skippy to destroy the only decent thing about ba. It would have been a no-tea handbagging interview, at the very least. Whereas that gurning idiot coudn't give a damn.

noflybywire
19th Oct 2006, 12:35
I have my own personal(And whole family) boycott of BA and if it's a choice of flying with them or walking I'd be walking,:mad: :mad: :mad:

Basil
19th Oct 2006, 12:57
<<ba's appalling vandalism and dog-in-the-manger attitude is one reason why I will never, ever fly with them>>
Now look here beagle, old boy; you do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about BA. Every time I see one of your contributions it seems to have a 'I will never, ever fly with them' paragraph - bit like JW411 :)
I gather that your experience is mostly RAF whereas mine is a bit more catholic, the RAF having formed merely part of my rather wider experience of employment.
I can safely say that BA together with IBM were my two best employers.
I'm sure that you are a jolly good pilot and officer and all that stuff but cannot help feeling that there is something missing with a chap who has to carry on a, if you will excuse me saying so, fairly innefectual vendetta against an airline who's CE probably hasn't even read one of your postings.
Has the BA board destroyed something dear to you? If so I would counsel against taking them on legally - they are sh1ts when you try that but, hey!, nobody's perfect!
What is it these smart young people say? "Let it go."

Nov71
19th Oct 2006, 12:59
I too am disgusted with Manchester Airport. When it was 'donated' the airport promised a hanger for its collection 'within a year'
Don't know state of Mcr Concorde, not prepared to pay £10 to find out; but its no Nevada desert up here!

Basil
19th Oct 2006, 13:00
BTW, Basil does not support the air race festival at Perth or any other ad placed by his nom de web :}

BRISTOLRE
19th Oct 2006, 13:00
There was something recently regarding Alpha Delta in NYC. It is deteriorating faster than evisaged. And, its hardly surprising considering where it has been moored. They are looking for a new location for it apparently and a location inside JFK airport was suggested.

BEagle
19th Oct 2006, 13:02
Has the ba board destroyed something dear to me?

Not just to me, but to many. Concorde.

And the historic collection at Cosford.

But it it the Dirty Tricks and price-rigging affairs that I will never forgive. I don't care whether no-one at ba reads my posts - at least I know that I will never be a ba customer.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Oct 2006, 13:08
AC at manch is in superb condition. True, it would be better if she was under cover (though the photographers would disagree), and that is planned.

There is a full time engineer looking after her, but of course every time it rains (and it is Manchester!) you get those black streaks beneath the windows - nothing you can do about that. She regularly has all access hatches removed to ensure no damp is gathering, and there is heating and a de-humidifier on board all the time.

AC, along with the other BA Concordes, was de-commissioned on site by BA. This involved draining all fluids and removing batteries. Part of the engine start mechanism was removed, but nothing else was touched. Apart from that and the electronic cockpit door lock, which was removed for security reasons, AC is complete. BA still own all the Concordes, and will not allow electrical power to be applied to any of the systems due life-expired wiring. We have fitted out own cockpit and cabin lights in AC for the tours.

Quite why AF are being praised here i don't know. They were the first to ground the aircraft, and that grounding was a major factor in BA having to do the same.

Come on a technical tour (in-depth tech tour recommended for entusiasts, classic tour OK for a quicker peek) around AC at Manchester - we'd love to see you and it is a fantastic experience for anyone who has even a passing interest in this fabulous aeroplane. It's the only Concorde anywhere that you can enter the cockpit. You can even sit in the P1 seat!

SSD

Porky Speedpig
19th Oct 2006, 14:48
Dope, If you really believe there was any chance of either maintaining Concorde operations or restarting them (even for display purposes) then you have no knowledge in the area. The manufacturer withdrew support, the aircraft was ageing extremely quickly and the suppliers of spares have long since decommisioned their facilities and resources.
It was a fantastic machine - it had a brilliant innings. I was privileged to fly it several times, each time breathtaking experiences. But, it has gone, for ever. Things do and people do, sad fact of life but inevitable. Time to move on.
BEagle, BA ind its dedicated employees invested extraordinary amounts of time and energy in Concorde operations for nearly 30 years. They deserve nothing but credit. Sadly, you seem unlikely to provide any.

Mercenary Pilot
19th Oct 2006, 15:15
Time to move on.Sadly though it now takes 8 hours to cross the pond....but thats progress I guess :confused:

When I were a kid, it only used to take 3 an' a 'alf :sad: ;)

SSD, i'm glad to hear that she is in good hands. BTW does the tour fee go into maintaining her?

BEagle
19th Oct 2006, 16:26
Porky (presumably you are that Porky B?), you will note that I, along with a certain Sir RB, have always held that the Concorde fleet was the only good thing about ba.

It was good to have 'AF at Brize when the flying recommenced.

But the dispersal and decommissioning of the aircraft after premature retirement, in some cases to some quite unsuitable locations, was conducted with indecent haste. It was as though ba couldn't wait to see the back of them - and it stank.

I side with John Hutch' over the death of Concorde.

dope05
19th Oct 2006, 17:14
Porky Speed PIg,

You missed the point, in as much as if a Concorde ever flies again , It will be in French Colours because BA couldnt give a damn about our heritage and are very short sighted---

Board Meeting
"Can we make any money from Heritage ? er no!- well bin it then ------ now pass me that nice brochure on 787 Dreamliner - how many should we order? that said, anybody fancy having a look at the A380?????"-- ( in 2015 or thereabouts)

Nov71
19th Oct 2006, 17:42
Even made the BBC 6 o' clock News. That might rattle a few decanters.

PPRuNe Pop
19th Oct 2006, 17:52
I have just seen a prog on FV Digital about the Air France Concorde, in its pristine appearance together with the marvellous and obvious signs of the hard work the engineers are clearly putting into it. It is a truly a sight to see.

Everything works! They demonstrated that the shields still work and the Flight Deck looks fabulous.

What a shame that the vandals at BA had no passion. Or any consideration for those who wanted some gesture from the management to preserve one of them. It cost them close on £16m to get 'AF' back flying after the crash in France. That would have been the aircraft to save.

Eddington will always be remembered as the man who killed Concorde. Draining the hydraulics and cutting the wiring was pure spite IMHO.

dope05
19th Oct 2006, 18:57
At the end of the day, as long as it rises to the skies I dont care whose colours it displays------ well done you frenchies

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Oct 2006, 19:29
Draining the hydraulics and cutting the wiring was pure spite IMHO.

No spite involved IMHO.

All fluids were drained as part of the decommissioning - so they wouldn't start to leak as seals detereated over the years, presumably.

No wires were cut, or any other damage inflicted.

SSD

Nov71
19th Oct 2006, 21:17
Since BA did the de-commissioning ( and still own the aircraft) perhaps they should be required to report what that involved. We don't want anyone to be accused of subsequent vandalism.

BEagle
19th Oct 2006, 21:27
Perhaps a FOI disclosure request for the relevant maintenance work orders?

Porky Speedpig
20th Oct 2006, 14:12
Dope and Beagle and co, I know I will never convince you but it will not stop me trying. Let's try another tack - one of the BA Pension Schemes has a deficit of £2.1Bn. I (and many others) know where we would rather BA invested its money. Let's say hypothetically it would take £10M to return to flight (how much has been spent on the Vulcan so far, a much simpler aeroplane?), thats about the same amount of money as paying for 400 people for a year or 40 for 10 years. Would these people willingly give up their jobs so that aviation enthusiasts could indulge themselves?
Its gone - get over it - use your energies to campaign for a successor!

Evanelpus
20th Oct 2006, 14:34
Are the bright red lights down the exhausts going to be retained when it gets back into the air? Nah, didn't think so.

It would be great to see a Concorde (AF or BA) back in the air and I wouldn't give a stuff if Ghadaffi funded the project. However, I'm a realist and my gut tells me no way....whereas my heart says YES!!!

Let's hope it happens

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Oct 2006, 15:10
"Life Expied Wiring"
What's that all about then?
In all my years I've never come across that!
AFAIK, Wiring is classed as "On-Condition" and is repaired / replaced when deemed necessary by inspection.

I guess it means that as it's no longer going to be inspected (by a suitably qualified person), or replaced if found to be defective, then it can't be used.

SSD

BEagle
20th Oct 2006, 15:26
Porky, the mismanagement of your pension fund is hardly relevant in this context.

I don't believe that ba could ever put Concorde back into the air. I do not think, however, that they tried very hard to stop it being withdrawn from service. But they ensured that no-one else ever could, apart from the French, who have rather more passion about such things than the waterworld suits who run ba. I have often been told that to have an interest in aeroplanes is the kiss of death for any wannabee ba manager.

The 'time to move on' mantra trotted out (sorry) by ba over Concorde's retirement was an attempt to try to deflect attention from the fact that ba had killed off its only USP. Now they have nothing to offer; they lack the charisma of Virgin Atlantic and are now Just Another Airline.

The royal blue livery and golden 'speedbird' of BOAC and the scarlet of BEA were once the premiere symbols of British civil aviation. Not any more.

dope05
20th Oct 2006, 16:08
Porky SpeedPig,

What I am annoyed about is that the French ( With possible tacit support from the President) have been making sure that they could one day get one back into the air. Not that they will BUT could. What does BA do---- sod all

Not even the "World's Favourite Airline " anymore - I think that accolade now resides in Dublin with MOL and the FR squadron :D :D :D

Oh, by the way, I have contributed to try and get XH558 off the ground and it looks like they might MIGHT just succeed !! Actually got to sit in the cockpit when I took our JP5a down to Bruntingthorpe. http://www.tvoc.co.uk/

Mr Porky Speedpig ! HAVE YOU CONTRIBUTED TO THE FUND ?????

Ok--- going off topic --------------------------but worth a mention!

Noddy Holder ( AKA Dope05 )

Mercenary Pilot
20th Oct 2006, 16:24
As much as I would love to see Concorde grace the skies again, I'm not sure I'd like to see the only one flying painted in Air France colours. Not only were they instrumental in its demise but it would give the airline a prestige that it does NOT deserve!

If BA does not want any further involvement with Concorde then they should offer them for sale at a reasonable price, after all they were paid for by the tax-payer. :=

dope05
20th Oct 2006, 16:33
totally agree Mr Mercenary Pilot

Suggest a price of £1 each

Nov71
20th Oct 2006, 20:00
Compare & discuss

UK cancels Blue Steel rocket, France develops Ariane5
UK cancels TSR2, France builds the Mirage fighter
UK has no aviation design & manufacturing industry France has Airbus

To keep expense to a min, UK collaborates and we know what the French thought of collaborators.

The UK wants short term profit without risk - no vision left after the Harrier!

BEagle
21st Oct 2006, 07:52
UK cancels Blue Steel rocket, France develops Ariane5

No, it was Blue Streak. This went on to become part of ELDO, but the UK pulled out. Own goal 1

UK cancels TSR2, France builds the Mirage fighter

Nothing to do with TSR2. The UK gave Dassault a lot of Fairey Delta 2 information; the Mirage 3 was the result. Own goal 2

UK has no aviation design & manufacturing industry France has Airbus.

UK decided not to join Airbus as a full member when the offer was there. However, wing design has always been primarily British. Own goal 3

Don't blame the French, blame the succession of useless idiots who have been in the UK parliament since the second Wold War ended!

HZ123
21st Oct 2006, 11:03
Let us not forget that in addition to very sucessful aviation industry they all so have have a thriving motor vehicle industry. Unlike us that seem to have very little in engineering.

WG774
21st Oct 2006, 13:23
Don't blame the French, blame the succession of useless idiots who have been in the UK parliament since the second Wold War ended!

You won’t get any argument from me there…

Much as I’d love to see the prettiest aircraft known to mankind back in the air, and much as I’m not really bothered whose livery adorns it (whatever way you look at it, Concorde represents a wealth of British engineering innovation and Brits should be proud - regardless of paintjob), I can’t help but suspect the efforts of these well-meaning French engineers will come to little more than the efforts of the Scotland Yard detectives keeping the Lucan file open.

I’d love to be proved wrong, but why risk it?

All the best to them – Vive Le France!

Wee Jock McPlop
21st Oct 2006, 14:32
The logic (or otherwise) used to decide the final resting places of the BA Concorde fleet has continued to puzzle me. These aircraft were/are a national treasure and should have been treated as such. The New York airframe is deteriorating quickly and just how many people visit the airframe in the Caribbean.

I have taken my kids to see the East Fortune Concorde on a couple of occasions. The second time was because my kids were nagging me to go and see her again. Well who am I to refuse! That airframe (despite having her wings welded back on) is under cover in a hangar dedicated entirely to her and appears to be well looked after. The visitor numbers appear to be pretty healthy, but the rest of the museum needs to be brought up to scratch to match the star exhibit. Just how long the welding holds out is a matter of some debate. I understand that the company that joined her back together were not entirely confident how long the welds would last.

To keep one in ground-running condition could have been achieved. If the money can be found to get the Bruntingthorpe Vulcan up into the sky, then surely the money would have been found to keep a Concorde ticking over. As much as I like the Vulcan, the support that a Concorde project could have recieved would have been far greater. Additionally, volunteers to look after her would not have been difficult to come by. The team of volunteers at Bruntingthorpe have, to their eternal credit, more than proved that.

That is why many feel so strongly about the way BA went about things. Just a little bit of effort and a lot less spite could have seen a totally different outcome. All this could have been done without any money from BA. Goodwill and co-operation would have been all that was required from them. I'm not in to cross-channel p.......g contests, but the French have shown the way and I for one applaud them. Pity some of the big wigs in the UK did not posses similar foresight.

WJMcP

Strepsils
22nd Oct 2006, 11:24
If BA does not want any further involvement with Concorde then they should offer them for sale at a reasonable price, after all they were paid for by the tax-payer

To who and for what?

Airbus will not support the aircraft, end of story. If they choose to activate one that's entirely their choice, but they will not commercially support the aircraft.:rolleyes:

As for BA (and AF for that matter) not trying very hard to keep them going, just remind us all how much they spent on upgrading the fleet only to get one years flying out of them?:hmm:

Porky Speedpig
23rd Oct 2006, 14:25
Beagle and Nov71,

I entirely agree with your comparisons of "industrial attitude" between the UK and France, especially on aerospace but to that we could add trains, tunnels, viaducts etc! Where I would like to see the publicity and waves of support build up though is for FUTURE projects, not trying to resurrect past ones. It is unlikely to happen but how good would it be for the UK to launch a programme for a future SST for example instead of closing down UK civil aircraft manufacture then selling its remaining stake in Airbus etc.
I spend plenty of time in France and it is clear that once they decide to build a new runway or new TGV line or new motorway or whatever - it just gets built rather than endlessly debated, watered down, moved etc etc.

BEagle
23rd Oct 2006, 17:32
Just what I was thinking, Porks, when I saw that episode of Top Gear which showed the stunning Millau Bridge in France!

Designed by a British architect, Norman Foster, but built in France!

A German Airbus TP once told me the difference between British, French and German attitudes to aerospace. When given the Aircraft Operating Manual,

The German looks for the rule which tells him how to do something.

The Brit looks for the rule which stops him from doing something.

The Frenchman says "Rules? What are rules?"

I hasten to add that the French flight test engineer (ex-Concorde) laughed as well!

gordonroxburgh
24th Oct 2006, 18:23
I've recently chatted to my colleagues in France and they tell me they "dream" of one day doing and engine run on the aircraft at Le Bourget , but realistically have no serious plans.....they donlt even have the fund at the Air and Space museum to take down the hall's wall to allow the aircraft to be moved outside.

They are happy to power up the aircraft and pressurise a small sections of it hydraulics to power the nose and visor.

In the UK (+US) BA still own the a/c, so certain systems were decommissioned so that no accidents would happen with untrained volunteers tinkering. In France AF did not care.

Better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Mercenary Pilot
24th Oct 2006, 18:56
To who and for what?

To those who want to maintain them in same way as the 2 AF Concorde's are kept for the purpose of maybe one day returning them to flight. You only have to look at the Vulcan project to see that it's viable, a "Concorde to the skies" foundation would attract even more funding and support.

Airbus will not support the aircraft, end of story. If they choose to activate one that's entirely their choice, but they will not commercially support the aircraft

If the French really want a Concorde flying, the French WILL get a Concorde flying. When (*if) they decide to do this the UK would also be in a position to benefit if they had a one in a respectable condition...Which isn't going to happen if BA allow them rot away.

(* Added for the pessimists ;))

treadigraph
24th Oct 2006, 18:59
I thought the one down at Filton was being kept "warmish" so to speak and would be the most likely BA example to fly again if ever one did... I sit to be corrected of course!

forget
24th Oct 2006, 19:09
Time again for one of aviation's all-time-best photographs:ok:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/Concorde.jpg

Mercenary Pilot
24th Oct 2006, 20:21
I thought the one down at Filton was being kept "warmish" so to speak and would be the most likely BA example to fly again if ever one did... I sit to be corrected of course!

I heard the same rumour about the former flagship at Manch (G-BOAC) and it does look in nice condition.

When I did some approaches at filton, i was told that the Concorde there had been damaged by the strong winds that we had some time last year...Not sure if it was true, I hoped not. :sad:

Globaliser
3rd Nov 2006, 08:35
From the great website (http://www.concordesst.com/latestnews.html):-'Foxie' takes a big step towards coming in from the cold - 27/10/06

The door has been opened for a permanent home to be built for G-BOAF at Cribbs Causeway next door to Filton airfield, with the bequest of a key area of land onto which a new visitors centre to house the aircraft can be constructed.

The offer of a free plot of land in the prestigious Cribbs Causeway development has come from JT Baylis & Co, the land owners who built the large shopping mall on the site.

Managing director Edward Whelan said: "(the late) Jack will always be remembered as the man who brought The Mall to Cribbs Causeway. It was his vision, drive and business skill that led to it being built.

"His other great wish was to see Concorde return to its home in Filton. We are, therefore, very proud to support this initiative to build a permanent home for this iconic masterpiece of British engineering, alongside its birthplace and the attractions at Cribbs Causeway."

(continues, plus pictures)

HZ123
3rd Nov 2006, 18:35
There was also concern as to a major incident from the BA Board of Directors and BA insurers who might have been about to pull the plug.