PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical questions from new helo owner/dreamer

blingflingwing
18th Oct 2006, 00:23
Hello all

Please excuse this post if it offends or annoys - I only want some input as I have not hired a pilot before.

Assume I am buying a new heli.

I want to buy a Bell 430 - but I am wary of some things. (I already know the operating costs etc. so no issues there).

Now to operating it.
1. Are there any qualified, experienced turbine heli (2000h+, 500h+ on type) pilots in SA - that are affordable? This would be for a private Cape Town-based bird.
2. And anyone aware of any issues operating the B430 single-pilot?
3. Would it be better to offer on-site accomodation or not?
4. How feasible would it be to have one full-time pilot?
5. Would it be better to have say two pilots "on-call" - because there may be some months where the heli might only be used for a couple of hours. (And would pilots expect some kind of minimum airtime?
6. What would said pilot/s be likely to expect in a remuneration package?
7. Any gotchas to be aware of? - advice, comments etc?
8. And if the required skills are not available, should I be looking at some other heli instead of the B430? (6 pax 1st class).

Thanks!

:cool:

Balmy
18th Oct 2006, 10:26
Some thoughts that may(or may not) help

1. Are there any qualified, experienced turbine heli (2000h+, 500h+ on type) pilots in SA - that are affordable? This would be for a private Cape Town-based bird. I am sure you could find a pilot with the expertise to fly for you
2. And anyone aware of any issues operating the B430 single-pilot? As far as I know it is not a problem but the Bell agents would be able to tell you and it may depend on the configuration of a particular aircraft
3. Would it be better to offer on-site accomodation or not? Going to depend on the individual and the location
4. How feasible would it be to have one full-time pilot? Always better to have only one pilot on an aircraft....it will always be looked after better than one that has a number of drivers (a bit like the pool car at the office)....but it is going to come down to what you are comfortable to pay which may depend on the specifics of what you are going to do with the helicopter
5. Would it be better to have say two pilots "on-call" - because there may be some months where the heli might only be used for a couple of hours. (And would pilots expect some kind of minimum airtime? Again it is going to come down to numbers and if you are prepared to accept the possibile unavailability of both on occasions. better to have one who you pay for and allow him to do freelance work when you dont need him
6. What would said pilot/s be likely to expect in a remuneration package?
7. Any gotchas to be aware of? - advice, comments etc?
8. And if the required skills are not available, should I be looking at some other heli instead of the B430? (6 pax 1st class). I am pretty sure you could find someone to fly a 430 if that is what you buy but you could look at an Agusta 109 or even an Sikorsky S76....there are pilots qualified on both in SA

340_co-jock
18th Oct 2006, 13:22
Hi Blingflingwing
Check your pm. I have just sent you a message via your pm.
Cheers

blingflingwing
18th Oct 2006, 13:39
Thanks to the mod who added /dreamer - very apt! I suppose it is at the moment, but I am hoping to place the order in Feb 2007 - so a bit of forward planning is needed.

Thanks Balmy. Some food for thought.

Thanks 340_co-jock - I've pm'd you back.

FloatFlyFu..
20th Oct 2006, 10:00
Hi Blingflingwing,

The best guy to chat to is jannie matysen. he's been operating a couple of 76's and he's now got a new 109 based at cape town. he knows the business, and a solid operator from what i hear...