PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan, any info would help.

seaweedknees
17th Oct 2006, 18:02
Hi,

I am not in the military but thought this would be the best place to get an idea of what it is like flying in Afghanistan.

It looks as though I may end up flying a light twin turboprop over Afghanistan for the UN and would like to know from people who have flown out there recently how hazardous this is going to be. It will most likely be at about 16K and 220kts.

Thanks,

Nick.

movadinkampa747
17th Oct 2006, 21:47
Hi,
It will most likely be at about 16K and 220kts.
Thanks,
Nick.
You never mentioned what your heading would be. This is very important whilst flying in Afghanistan. Maybe then will people be able to give you an accurate assessment of what flying will be like for you.:rolleyes:

mayorofgander
17th Oct 2006, 21:54
If it is South, then the sun might be in your eyes!!!:cool:

MOG

GlosMikeP
17th Oct 2006, 22:18
Hi,

I am not in the military but thought this would be the best place to get an idea of what it is like flying in Afghanistan.

It looks as though I may end up flying a light twin turboprop over Afghanistan for the UN and would like to know from people who have flown out there recently how hazardous this is going to be. It will most likely be at about 16K and 220kts.

Thanks,

Nick.
Nick

Given the posts above offer every assistance short of help, check your PM and hopefully you'll have something that, even if it doesn't provide a complete answer, might point you in the right direction.

Mike

Delta Hotel
17th Oct 2006, 22:58
Seaweed,
Check your PM for my thoughts and experiences -good luck flying with the UN.;)

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Oct 2006, 04:56
Your company should have people there or contact one of the local UN contract crews for a briefing. The situation changes hourly in some places but the general UN security briefing should cover most things adequately, if not in minute detail. Remember to update flight following.

Good luck trying to deal with the UN...:hmm: :ugh:

Mad_Mark
18th Oct 2006, 18:14
Must say I thought this was some jouno scum out on a trawl.

Surely IF you are about to fly in any risky area for a company then THAT company should be finding out all you need to know through official channels :confused:

I urge people not to respond to this. If the guy is genuine, then good luck, but ask the right people (i.e. the UN flight organisers) the question. If they don't know then ask them to find out!

MadMark!!! :mad:

ChezTanker
18th Oct 2006, 18:25
I am with MadMark.:*

TheInquisitor
18th Oct 2006, 19:16
I wouldn't fly around at 16K out there - you'll barely clear most of the mountains. And hit some of them.

Have a good idea how your aircraft performs hot & high, because it is (very) both.

GlosMikeP
18th Oct 2006, 20:13
Must say I thought this was some jouno scum out on a trawl.

Surely IF you are about to fly in any risky area for a company then THAT company should be finding out all you need to know through official channels :confused:

I urge people not to respond to this. If the guy is genuine, then good luck, but ask the right people (i.e. the UN flight organisers) the question. If they don't know then ask them to find out!

MadMark!!! :mad:
Trawling for what? WAT limits?

seaweedknees
18th Oct 2006, 22:55
Thanks for the replys,

The reason I am asking here is to get info from people who are not going to make money out of me going there but who have been there recently and know what it is like to fly and be based there.

Back in the Barrel
19th Oct 2006, 07:51
Presumably your helo will be O2 equipped?:sad:

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Oct 2006, 07:57
UN contract will probably be on a 1900 or B200 if FW. Be aware of your SE ceiling when operating over the mountainous areas. You could easily paint yourself into a corner.

LateArmLive
19th Oct 2006, 09:43
Presumably your helo will be O2 equipped?:sad:

220kts is pretty quick for a helo :eek:

Fox_4
19th Oct 2006, 14:58
Mad_mark

Why would a journo ask a question like that?

This place is full of guys who just flame people for asking questions.

Its hardly top secret to give a guy some idea of what a dump he will be flying in and how tough it will be.

To55ers

Wont be that interesting an article if thats the main theme anyway. Jeeez

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

GlosMikeP
19th Oct 2006, 15:24
Fox4

My thoughts exactly. If he can't ask it here, where can he!

Just trying to do the same as anyone else out there: come home alive.

movadinkampa747
19th Oct 2006, 17:51
Ok everything you wanted to know about flying in Afghanistan but were afraid to ask.

>>>>The Afghanistan AIP<<<< (http://ramcc.dtic.mil/afghan_AIP_27sep06.pdf)

buoy15
20th Oct 2006, 03:06
movad
Say's it all really
Some of those mountains around Khost are 15k+, and when you add on all the bits to establish MSFL etc ??????:ooh:
It's like bungey jumping - I'm not an expert but it looks dangerous to me!