PDA

View Full Version : UK to Thailand - best airline?

big.al
17th Oct 2006, 16:28
Planning a trip to Thailand in the not too distant future. Never been further east than Bulgaria (I'll never forgot the Balkan Bulgarian Tu-154:ooh: ) so can anyone recommend the best airline to travel with for comfort, seat-back TVs, etc? We'll be cattle-class unfortunately, cannot afford anything more selubrious...
We'd prefer direct flights but if we can travel from MAN instead of LHR, we wouldn't mind connecting somewhere like Dubai etc. What are the options direct LHR-BKK, is it just BA, Thai and Qantas?
Cheers.

Smile!!!
17th Oct 2006, 19:31
I would personally fly Emirates as they have excellant service:ok:

Cheap to and they go from MAN

Bangkokeasy
18th Oct 2006, 02:04
Coming from Manchester, you will have at least one transfer, whether it is LHR or another European airport. Given the shambles at LHR, I would recommend the latter at the moment. For direct out of LHR, there is also Eva Air, who are not bad. Otherwise, connecting direct into Manchester via the continent, there is also KLM and SAS. I recommend go for one of those, who both fly daily and the transfer experience will be FAR better. You need to check out the IFE options for these via their websites, as I am afraid I don't usually sit with the cattle on that route :O

Al, if you are, as your moniker suggests, "big", then I would also recommend checking out the airlines, such as Eva Air, who offer premium economy, i.e. a bigger seat at less than C class cost.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Salusa
19th Oct 2006, 16:04
As Smile!!! reccomends, Emirates is a good choice.

Another option is Singapore Airlines, who also have a daily flight from Manchester connect through Changi to Bangkok.

Changi is (IMO) a much better airport to transit through than Dubai.

172driver
20th Oct 2006, 22:57
Simple - NetJets :E

TG345
21st Oct 2006, 08:26
If you can face the trauma of a transfer at LHR, I would suggest Thai: good food, and a very generous seat pitch in economy.

AAIGUY
22nd Oct 2006, 09:37
How about Oasis from LGW.. you can get to HKG in Business Class for about 1200 pounds RT and then connect to BKK on a number of airlines (including Emirates) that operate HKG-BKK. Fares for the shorter sector should be around 70 quid RT.

Tolsti
23rd Oct 2006, 08:21
I've just returned this morning from BKK with Etihad via AUH into LGW.
Superb service.... ex LGW @ 11.00 to AUH... 3/4 hr stopover then on to BKK.. arriving there at 07.00 with the whole day ahead of you.
On the way back 21.00 departure gives you a full last day and an arrival at 0645 ish is a good time to get back to the UK.
If you go Pearl Class (their business class) you get limo pick up and drop off in the UK and on their 777 a 180 full flat bed. Good food, lovely staff.
Superb trip both ways... looking to book again this week for the summer.

They also serve MAN and LHR so you have plenty of choice.

Will Hung
23rd Oct 2006, 11:13
Been there over 20 times with every direct airline, and some indirect, which I really wouldn't recommend. The best overall IMHO is the Thai daytime flight, TG916 from memory. On the last 2 occasions, when I've flown this flight, I've had 4 seats to myself. On both occasions the flight was two-thirds empty. The night time flight always seems full. The other benefit of the day time flight is that you get into BKK just after 6.00am, so you've got a full day to have a kip, and then find something to do in the afternoon. Have fun !!

Pom Pax
25th Oct 2006, 17:37
Going South Eastwards to Bkk I would not call either flight a daylight one. The late evening departure ex London can give you a spectacular view as you go up the Khyper (just remember to wake up in time) however the midday departure will not have dawn until you are over the Bay of Bengal. Of course the return trip is either all night (or even perpetual dawn from Lake Aral to Hounslow) or all daylight. On a clear day the southerly route can be quite interesting The Caspian then the Crimea and up the Danube whilst the northern route may take deeper into the Himilaya those Steppes last an awfull long time.

spiney
28th Oct 2006, 05:47
If you're on a budget, stay on the budget - whatever's the cheapest without having too crazy connections... and spend the cash you save in Thailand. KLM have daily flights - get those paired seats up near the front where they have a 3 X 2 configuration... evening departure out of AMS, lunchtime into BKK - perfect. KLM are not the airline they used to be - but they ARE cheap.

Farrell
30th Oct 2006, 17:16
don't forget to ask the price of an upgrade to business class on the main leg of the flight.

i did this on a whim with Lufthansa on the way back from India. The price of a business class upgrade for the flight back........£200 and worth every single penny.....got off the plane feeling better than when i got on!