PDA

View Full Version : i think ive destroyed XP

Duff beer
16th Oct 2006, 20:47
please help guys!

whilst messing around on explorer I moved a file (ignoring the messages telling me not to) that I thought was causing me problems.

After restarting my laptop XP tries to start up but results in a black screen.
It seems this file is needed to start XP. No laughing!!!

Can any fine chap offer a solution to my predicament.

Thanks

Mercenary Pilot
16th Oct 2006, 21:14
Try inserting your XP disk and doing a repair. If it is unrecoverable then you can reinstall XP without losing all your data.

Duff beer
17th Oct 2006, 14:58
Thanks Mercenary,
the repair didnt work so re-installed XP, unfortunately lost all the data though.

Bit miffed about losing the pictures, never mind.

New problem now though is how do i get the apperance back to what it was. ie small, sharp windows and icons, rather than the large blocky ones.

Ive been through all the options in the display folder in control panel with no success.

any deas????

thanks

Groundgripper
17th Oct 2006, 15:22
Should be under

Control Panel>Display>Settings>Screen Resolution

You'll probably find that the slider is set to 800x600, try moving it to 1024x768.

GG

Mercenary Pilot
17th Oct 2006, 15:35
The data should still be on your harddrive. XP is only the operating system and when you re-install it, all your data should still be in the C: directory. You will have to move them around a bit but they’re there somewhere (unless you reformatted of course?)

Most laptop manufacture's have on thier websites, a list of the individual components (i.e. graphics cards) so you can download the appropriate drivers. Then you will be able to change your screen resolution to something a little more "user friendly".

:ok:

born2fly_au
17th Oct 2006, 18:27
In my opinion you should concider partitioning your hard drive. This way you have your operating system on C: drive and store all your important files on a different partition that way if you ever need to reinstall or format the windows partition you will not loose any of your valuable data.

Doing as reinstall of windows should replace the missing file without loss of any data. As Mercenary Pilot says there is a repair console included in the windows CD that you can use to repair the damaged file.
Good Luck Allen

Gnirren
17th Oct 2006, 19:02
Actually you're most likely innocent. XP will inevitably destroy itself given enough time. Fortunately you always have an option - re-in-stall :-D

Mac the Knife
17th Oct 2006, 20:05
Actually you're most likely innocent. XP will inevitably destroy itself given enough time. Fortunately you always have an option - re-in-stall :-D

There are better options - a Mac or Linux

Two fine distros: Kubuntu - http://www.kubuntu.org/ and Mepis - http://www.mepis.org/

born2fly_au
17th Oct 2006, 20:17
One problem Mac they won't run FS2004 even under wine. But they will run X-Plane. both great programs for the serious computer pilot.

Duff beer
19th Oct 2006, 10:57
Nah, its reformatted the drive. All gone....so many memories!!

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Groundgripper....thanks, thats sorted it.

Gnirren
19th Oct 2006, 14:45
I object sir, my mac runs FS2004 perfectly well under bootcamp with xp pro.

born2fly_au
19th Oct 2006, 17:44
Gnirren, I think you are getting a bit confused. If you read my comment correctly i was refering my comment to Mac as in Mac the Knife not the Mac computer. Also i was commenting that FS2004 will not run on Knoppix or Mepis. These are Linux operating systems not windows. FS2004 is designed to run under windows. It will not run under Linux or run on a Mac computer unless that Mac computer as in your case is running windows. In my opinion if you are going to run windows on a Mac then why not buy a normal PC.