PDA

View Full Version : RAF WSO medical req.

Ww/W
16th Oct 2006, 18:42
I have just started the 2nd year of my A-levels and am contemplating life in the forces, amongst other things. Father spent 9years on Jags and mother was a RAF Doctor for about 10.

Sod's Law has it that I'm colour defective, so a forces pilot job is a no-go for me :mad: :ugh: :mad: :ugh: :mad: I've been thinking about various other trades and the WSO idea popped up in my head. The RAF Careers site doesn't seem to mention medical requirements. I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me as to whether or not I could do this, or any other aircrew jobs? Ta.

airborne_artist
16th Oct 2006, 19:42
This may be out of date, but I doubt it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/philm/eye.jpg

The answer is that all aircrew need good colour perception, regardless of their seat/role.

Do you enjoy bulling boots? Does the idea of marching fill you with joy? If so there's a role for you in the RAF Regt.

And it'd be no easier getting into the Dark Blue to fly:

RN eyesight reqs. from an older Pprune post

Outline Guidance on Medical Standards required for Officer Entry into the RN, RM & QARNNS

For aircrew, standard 1 visual acuity is required along with colour perception 1.

Standard 1 is:

to be achieved with correcting lenses:

Right eye 6/6 N5
E 1
E 1
Left eye 6/6 N5

to be achieved without correcting lenses:

Right eye 6/12 N5
E3
E3
Left eye 6/12 N5

Refraction limit

Right Eye

Total
Hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl

Left Eye

Total
Hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl

Colour Perception Standard 1 : The correct recognition of coloured lights shown through the small apertures on the Martin Lantern at 6 metres distance.

Big Cheese1
17th Oct 2006, 11:58
I'm guessing you have CP3?

I do and unfortunately that puts me out of the skies as well. I guess I have a penchant for all things marching and shiny boots then as I'm going Regt instead.

As far as I'm aware though you can still obtain your class 1 med so there's always the airlines if that's your bag.