PDA

View Full Version : Is a 70 % ejection fraction good?

marsman
16th Oct 2006, 13:59
Hi all,

I underwent a echo and holter testing a few weeks back. Everything went ok but just interested in the results for myself. Is a 70 % ejection fraction good and the fact that my heart rate dropped to 34 bpm in the middle of the night also a good sign that I have a healthy heart.

aimscabinet
16th Oct 2006, 14:37
To my knowledge, 60% ejection fraction would be considered a minimum for a healthy heart.
37 BPM during sleep is quite low, but depending on your level of physical fitness, it could be normal for you.
Doctors out there to refute me or back me up?:O

Mac the Knife
16th Oct 2006, 17:48
EF in normal people is >55%, around 60%
Very fit people can approach 90%
So 70% is good but not spectacular

Confession: I only know 'cos I overheard my gasman teaching students the other day..

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Oct 2006, 20:47
Typical bl***y surgeons! Mac stick to your knife!

:)

55-75% is normal.

http://www.heart1.com/news/mainstory.cfm/16/1

Jarvy
19th Oct 2006, 07:48
As said average is between 50 & 70, mine due to illness went down to 42% but is now over 60 so ok. Heart rate if sleeping will drop that low it will only be a problem if low when not sleeping.
I am not a medical person its just that I have spent the last 18 months with a heart problem so have learnt alot
Jarvy

gingernut
19th Oct 2006, 15:12
A little thread drift, but indulge me.

Interestingly, in the "abnormal" heart, ejection fraction doesn't always correlate with how the patient feels, (or functions), although I believe that mortality is closely linked.

Fascinating stuff this medicine stuff.

Oh that's super!
20th Oct 2006, 23:39
Confession: I only know 'cos I overheard my gasman teaching students the other day..

Methinks the very fact that you remembered what your gasman said to students is damn good!