PDA

View Full Version : Boeing accepts collective agreement

Fliegenmong
16th Oct 2006, 06:34
From the ABC. :rolleyes: :)

They (Boeing) had to I suppose, but how can you have a nine month strike?

Last Update: Monday, October 16, 2006. 2:24pm (AEST)

Boeing accepts collective agreement for workers
The Australian Workers Union (AWU) says a skills shortage in the aviation industry together with employee pressure has forced Boeing to agree to a collective agreement for its Newcastle workers.

Twenty-five employees ended a nine-month strike in February this year after opposing the company's plan to have workers sign individual agreements.

The union says workers at Williamtown in New South Wales, and at Oakey and Amberley RAAF in Queensland will vote on the agreement next week.

The AWU's Kevin Maher says the company was forced to change its position because of the workers' actions and a dwindling workforce.

"I think trying to retain and recruit people in an area where there's a reasonable skills shortage at the moment, they've looked at what are the best, attractive employment arrangements and have seen that there's a strong wish for collectivism," Mr Maher said.

Boeing says the union's initial collective agreement was unworkable, but employees have now negotiated a "sensible" contract.

As an aside is it just me or is the latest attempt to discuss nuclear power in this country diverting attention from something more sinister that seems to have escaped me.:hmm: :hmm: :yuk:

Ultralights
16th Oct 2006, 07:35
i wonder if the Boeing rethink was a result of the Management non hangar floor staff walking out for a day a few weeks ago?