PDA

View Full Version : File recovery

Duckbutt
15th Oct 2006, 22:47
Can anyone advise how (or if) I can track down a couple of Excel files which I had in a folder on my 'C' drive? The folder still shows on my desktop but if I click on it all I get is the 'searching' box (the one with the torch). A search using the facility in the 'Start' menu doesn't find them.

I use XP PRo and to the best of my knowledge I havn't taken any actions which would result in their erasure.

vapilot2004
16th Oct 2006, 02:29
DB, have you tried the recently opened file list within Excel ? This is in the File menu - saves the last 4-6 workbooks opened previously.

EDIT - I see you tried Search - might want to check Advanced Options.

Here is how to search using Windows Explorer:

Open your My Computer icon and click the Search button or hold CTL button and tap E (CTL + E). Click Search for All Files and Folders on the left.

For file name type *.xls and choose your drive. Might want to click the Advanced Options and make sure "search sub-folders" and "Search hidden files and folders" and search "System folders" are all checked then click Search.

If no files are found and a search of your other hard drives (D: or E: or __: ) also returns nothing - you have another option in System Restore.

Go to All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Choose a date prior to the data loss and see if this helps. You can always undo the restoration if it does not help and if you do find your missing files, back them up, then for good measure undo the System Restore just performed.

Good Luck !

IO540
16th Oct 2006, 06:36
Does System Restore restore application data?

This sort of thing - inability to browse a folder - is really weird. I wonder if it's a bad block(s) on the hard drive.

Saab Dastard
16th Oct 2006, 08:11
BEFORE YOU POSSIBLY OVERWRITE THE MISSING FILES:

1: Open My Computer, and then select the local disk you want to check.

2: On the File menu, click Properties.

3: On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now.

4: Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

All files must be closed for this process to run. If the volume is currently in use, a message box will appear prompting you to indicate whether or not you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time you restart your system. Then, the next time you restart your system, disk checking will run. Your volume will not be available to perform other tasks while this process is running.
If your volume is formatted as NTFS, Windows automatically logs all file transactions, replaces bad clusters, and stores copies of key information for all files on the NTFS volume.

ps - Don't interrupt the scan!

SD

Duckbutt
16th Oct 2006, 09:45
Thank you people for taking the trouble to respond.

Unfortunately none of your suggestions did the trick so must put the matter down to experience.

Incidentally I thought I had backed the files up but on checking the backup copy file acted in the same way. Perhaps it is a bad irrecoverable sector.