PDA

View Full Version : Age limits & age discrimination legislation

Bolk
15th Oct 2006, 11:33
Interesting point raised in the WSO/Nav thread. How do you think the new age discrimination legislation will affect mil careers and recruitment?

I've always thought that we are excluding some very capable people on age alone. Surely the 30 yr old with a good education, life experience and possibly flying training would at the very least be a good candidate for the selection process and offer the same return of service as a 22 yr old that dissapears to BA after his SSC. I understand the 'catch 'em young, tutor them in our ways' view, but is that really everything!?

I would, however, be wary of the 75 yr old infantry grandmother! (BBC news 24 today)

pr00ne
15th Oct 2006, 11:35
Bolk,

Aren't the forces exempt from all of the age discrimination legislation?

Bolk
15th Oct 2006, 11:51
Hi pr00ne,

I'm not sure exactly how the exemptions work although I'm sure you are right. I would like to think that the current high profile nature of the subject would prompt new thoughts at the MoD, especially with the change in the average age of the population. Maybe a total exemption is not required?

LFFC
15th Oct 2006, 14:17
pr00ne is correct - nothing will change!

The Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/20061031.htm)

Part 6 Para 44(4) "These regulations do not apply to service in any of the naval, military or air forces of the Crown."